Really affordable lighting?

I am cheap by nature thus the need for you guys to talk me OUT of the cheap items!

For the time I am going to go with......
a second SB600
2x 8' Linco light stands PRO HEAVY DUTY 8' LIGHT STAND - eBay (item 270650619456 end time Nov-16-10 00:36:35 PST)
2x Impact Convertable Umbrella Impact 30" Convertible Umbrella UBBW30 B&H Photo Video

If anyone has alternatives to these they feel are better feel free to throw it out there.
+1 that 30" umbrellas are to small. I also recommend 45" to 60" convertibles. The bigger they are the softer the shadows.

Why a second SB-600, unless you need the iTTL?
If you don't need the iTTL, I would recommend a Vivitar 285HV or 2, $90 brand new. Vivitar 285HV Flash 233965 B&H Photo Video

You'll also need a couple of umbrella brackets http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/298709-REG/Impact_3117.html

Forget that crap they sell on eBay, including that Linco light stand, it is not heavy duty. This is heavy duty http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/33047-REG/Matthews_339561_Century_C_Stand.html

Stick with what B&H offers http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/253074-REG/Impact_LS_8A_Air_Cushioned_Light_Stand.html

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
A comparison please - obviously strobe has advantages, but for MORE light, why not go with this for under $200:

one of these with four 85W lamps (1000W/h) 5500 degree Kelvin bulbs

https://www.robertsimaging.com/stoc...h 30in Octa Softbox, Stand (SLH-4-OCTA75).jsp

with one or two of these with 30 or 85/w bulbs.

https://www.robertsimaging.com/stoc...ation/A10UL 10-inch Adapta-Light (401033).jsp

-- or would it be better to go with two 160 watt mono lights - for $199 like:

FPBK1 Flashpoint Budget Studio Monolight Flash Basic Kit with 2 160 Watt Second Flashes, 7' Light Stands, 33" White Umbrellas & Softex Carrying Case.

I am cheap by nature thus the need for you guys to talk me OUT of the cheap items!

For the time I am going to go with......
a second SB600
2x 8' Linco light stands PRO HEAVY DUTY 8' LIGHT STAND - eBay (item 270650619456 end time Nov-16-10 00:36:35 PST)
2x Impact Convertable Umbrella Impact 30" Convertible Umbrella UBBW30 B&H Photo Video

If anyone has alternatives to these they feel are better feel free to throw it out there.
+1 that 30" umbrellas are to small. I also recommend 45" to 60" convertibles. The bigger they are the softer the shadows.

Why a second SB-600, unless you need the iTTL?
If you don't need the iTTL, I would recommend a Vivitar 285HV or 2, $90 brand new. Vivitar 285HV Flash 233965 B&H Photo Video

You'll also need a couple of umbrella brackets Impact Umbrella Bracket 3117 B&H Photo Video

Forget that crap they sell on eBay, including that Linco light stand, it is not heavy duty. This is heavy duty Matthews Century C Stand - 8' (2.4m) 339561 B&H Photo Video

Stick with what B&H offers Impact Air Cushioned Light Stand, Black - 8' (2.4m) LS-8A B&H]

I will probably stick with the SB600 for this one so my wife can use it as an on camera flash for her D80 at times.

Good catch on the umbrellas, revised to the 45" umbrella!

I am going to order just one of the Ebay stands and see what it is like. They look decent and this may just be one of the "just starting companies" that actually makes a decent product but has to build its name. You never know until one of us tries it and reports the feedback. Worst case I waste $25.00 and best case we find a new outlet for affordable stands.

I recently picked up a LumaPro 160 for $160... it is a great manual quad sync strobe... I don't even need a transmitter for it.

dustin0479;2063453 I am going to order just one of the Ebay stands and see what it is like. They look decent and this may just be one of the "just starting companies" that actually makes a decent product but has to build its name. [/quote said:
And you have how much experience at evaluating the durability of light stands? :lol:

I looked at the photos of it and learned all I needed to know to recommend a different product to you, but it's your money.

The Impact light stand I recommended isn't 'heavy duty' either, but IMO it's significantly more robust than the one you linked to.

I just spent a few days with a gentleman here at the resort who has done studio work for TV ads and photography for National Geographic. His recommendation to me was to not start with strobe or flash but continuous light setup to learn with, it makes life so much easier.

He stated that 95% of the studio work is now done with a higher end version of a system like this.

Photo Studio Lighting Softbox Light Kit Boom Set 01MX - eBay (item 160449157793 end time Nov-28-10 08:00:56 PST)

Guaranteed its not the most robust kit out there but with control over each bulb and dual layer in the soft boxes it will do quite well to learn with.

dustin0479;2063453 I am going to order just one of the Ebay stands and see what it is like. They look decent and this may just be one of the "just starting companies" that actually makes a decent product but has to build its name. [/quote said:
And you have how much experience at evaluating the durability of light stands? :lol:

I looked at the photos of it and learned all I needed to know to recommend a different product to you, but it's your money.

The Impact light stand I recommended isn't 'heavy duty' either, but IMO it's significantly more robust than the one you linked to.

I definitely realize neither option is "Pro" or Heavy duty :)
I have absolutely 0 experience at evaluating light stands, in fact I do not think I have ever opened or collapsed one. If it was not a purely mechanical item i would not even attempt to evaluate it but the construction of a light stand is actually rather simple. I have no doubt the cheaper stand will turn out to be the lesser of the two however I figure I will give it the benefit of the doubt.

Just from the images i like how the base bracket creates "guides" for the legs to rest in when collapsed that could potentially assist in avoiding bent legs.
Again from the images the locations they opted to use rivets instead of bolts and locknuts makes sense and should help avoid loosening of bolts.
These are just a few things I noticed, and I in no way am in a position to argue one is better than the other I am just willing to give it a shot based on what I have seen.

Thanks again everyone for your input!!

The Linco stands look reasonably good on the web, and the black finish and $25 price tag seems quite fair to me. Light stands have a habit of lasting 10,15,20 years, if they are well-made and taken good care of and do not get in to "accidents" too often. I do not agree that 30,32,or 33 inch umbrellas are "too small", but rather are different tools for different uses. They throw a harder shadow, a crisper light, than bigger umbrellas, and as such, have a lot of uses.

There are some pretty useful smaller brollies made...Speedotron's smaller 30-something Super Silver is a good one if you want a crisp, sparkly light, and the 30-33-34 inch models make nice light for B&W photos.

Any reason to not buy the cheap 10x10 muslin backdrops off ebay?

+1, i have 2 of thesse stands from b&hand they are really well made for the price. the one i have are also air cushioned

Most reactions

New Topics

Back