Really cheap external hard drive.

DSLR noob

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all. I have had my camera since December and it is my first camera. I have a Dell desktop computer with a measly 40GB. before my camera, I was using about 18GB of my space, today I checked and I have about 1.7 GB remaining (oops), I am in yearbook for my school and a place to store photos is essential to me. So I am wondering where I can get a nice cheap external hard drive to tide me over until I can get a Macbook Pro at the end of this year (120GB). I am hoping to find something with about 80GB of space. I don't need really high standards like the 500GB and 250GB models, because I really don't have a lot of money. Any suggestions on a good brand/model, and please list the price too. Thanks.

P.S. sorry if this has been covered before.

You can get a 500gb for about 100 bucks if you look the right places.

or, http://www.spoofee.com tells you how to get a 400GB internal drive from Newegg (reliable) for about 69 bucks shipped. Then, spend 20 or 30 bucks on an external enclosure and you have a great setup.

PM me if you have any questions. I know the right places to look...the reliable ones, etc. I do computer hardward stuff on the side.

My stomach cramps when I hear "really cheap external hard drive." I've seen so many of these crash and never come back.

Two things:

First, regardless of what kind of HD you buy, back up your images to CDs or DVDs. That way if your HD crashes you have a redundant back-up

Second, see if you can buy a well-rated exHDD. All you ever read about drives is how much people hate them, those with working drives don't take time out to comment. That means you can't really trust online user reviews. Also, most HDDs are built by two or three companies, so La Cie hard drives may well be built by Western.

But I've had great luck with La Cie drives, I have about eight of them. See if you can afford one of those.

Very good point by Iron about reviews... very few people think "Hey, my hard drive works well and hasn't crashed, I'll post a review!" When it all goes wrong, then they'll comment.

Personally I haven't had any problems with my external hard drives. I'm currently using two Buffalo ones. As Iron said, the drives inside are made by different companies, and I only found out who once they were set up on my desk. One is a Samsung. The other is a Western Digital, which people always seem to be telling us to avoid. But both are fast and so far reliable.

Reliable is a relative term with any hard drive though. Like Iron says, always always always back up onto CDs or DVDs as well.

I had a 160gb Maxtor, then got a 300gb Seagate thinking that would be all I'd need. Then I started downloading pictures from my new camera. I'm now looking for a couple of 500gb or more, probably Western Digital. My advice is that as much as price is dropping on these externals, buy as much gb as you can, but stay with a reputable brand. I've never had any problems with my externals and I backup regularly.

I would plain on buy another external hard drive every 2 or 3 years, depending how light or heavy a shooter you become, I have bought mine in the pass from geeks.com for before 100-120 USD for 200mb (2+ year ago) and 300mb (last year)

Well I am a fairly high level shooter (not in experience but in frame #s) I've shot off roughly 20,000 shots on my Rebel XT in 7 months. That 10.3 Gig I have used was all on small or medium file sizes (I don't print my work ,but rather put it on websites). I'll need a new HD REALLY soon, and in about a year I'll be nearing my shutter life's end.(at this rate). Meanwhile I'm saving for a Macbook Pro and a 70-200 F/4 L. Photography is expensive.

Western digital 80GB portable hard drive can be had for around $60-80, don't go for the 120 or 160GB portable they have some serious power source issues. The portables include a 3 year warranty. Don't care about portability, then the 500GB my book also from western dgital, good reviews, reliable, 1 year warranty can be had from bestbuy last time I chcked for $99. Used both no issues. Good luck.

I have two Maxtor drives and they work great. I have a 160GB portable drive and a 80GB drive and I need more space. I usually back up my pictures on my computer, one of the hard drives and my most recent pics on my 4GB flash drive before I edit them. I recently got a MacBook Pro with a DVD Burner so I can start burning them on DVD's. I never put them on CD's because it'd take 4-6 CD's for each shoot. It'll be easier to use 1-2 DVD's. Basically, be as redundant as possible, and don't cheap out on the hard drive.

Ok I just got back from Best Buy. My new weapon of choice, a Seagate 250GB hard drive for $99.99. Seagate puts a 5 year warranty on their products, I'm so happy that I don't have to worry anymore about memory (I'll backup on disks too)

i cannot speak highly enough of western digital's "my book" series. I have 4 of them at work as backup devices (in addition to tape backups). They have always been reliable, never had any problems with them (*stops to say a prayer about the backups tonight*). great buy IMO

Most reactions

Back