Rebel XT download time..??

RebelTasha

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have an older IBM R31 laptop when I plug my camera in to the USB it recognises it immediately and the CF light starts flickering on the camera but it takes a while a long while for the EOS Utility to come up then it fairly slowly downloads them, I'm not too worried about the download time more so how long it takes from plugging the camera in to the Utility coming up I have even tryed clicking on it to try and get it up manualy but it still waits until it is ready..
When the camera is not attached it comes up right away when I click on it..
Is this normal?

*Sorry if the correct term is upload and not download .. :)

I'd suggest investing in a $20 card reader... Slip in the CF card, it'll pop up as a new drive, and then you can drag and drop. Quick and easy. :eek:)

Just did a quick google, and it looks like your laptop is probably ill equipped for handling the large files you're dealing with...

I'm not sure if my computer has ever been upgraded how can I tell what the speed is and everything maybe I could post it and then we'll know for sure.
I never had any problem downloading using the Zoom Browser with my S3 but as soon as I downloaded the Rebel software versions and started using the Rebel my problems began.
I did a format of my computer reinstalled windows and everything to get rid of any unnecessary junk because I knew I am somewhat limited to drive space but not that badly.

Are you shooting RAW with the Xt? The file size difference between RAW vs. JPG is considerable. My RAW files from my Xt are around 7 Megabytes, which will definitely slow down an older computer.

Cheers

It makes no difference it is more the lack of anything happening after plugging the camera in and the EOS Utility start up that I am having issues with the upload/download time is actually not that bad (once the program finally kicks in).

I have a 5 year old computer. Make sure when you use USB that its USB 2.0.
I have USB ports on the front of my tower but its not 2.0.
I have 2.0 on the back of my computer tower.

USB 2.0 is faster transfer and u can see a difference when transfering a lot of images.

Most reactions

Back