Rebel XT lenses

bogleric

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a new Rebel XT and notice some companies bundle sigma lenses with them instead of canon lenses. Which is better? I will be honest when it comes to lenses I am fairly wet behind the ears.

Thanks

I don't know exactly which Sigma lenses they are including but I'm guessing that they are of similar quality to the Canon kit lenses.

Sigma has cheaper consumer level lenses, just as Canon & Nikon do. They also have some really nice lenses but as with the big companies, they don't come cheap. Basically you get what you pay for. Although, sometimes you can get a little more for your money with Sigma because your not paying for the big brand name.

The best thing to do is to search for reviews of the specific lenses. You will often find conflicting reviews but the more you read, the better idea you will have.

I have the 18-55 EF-S, Canon kit lens with my 20D and I think it's actually a pretty good lens. It's very light and plastic but for $150 CDN it's a nice wide lens for my camera. Also, a good inexpensive lens to have it the 50mm F1.8

Where are you getting these packages from? Often companies that sell package deals, mainly on E-bay and the like, include many low quality products with them. Please note that I am NOT saying that Sigma or other such companies make low quality products...they often make excellent products. However, most of the time you can buy better parts than what's included in the package for not much more money.

Thanks for the replies. I was having the same thoughts as what you had mentioned. Tonight I did not end up going with the package deal, instead I bought from the good old standby, B&H Photo. I did get some better stuff for about the same price, I just didn't buy all the extras. I think I will be much happier with it this way....

Yeah the 50M 1.8 is a good lens even though everybody bitches about it being plastic fantastic. people often talk about abberation on this lens, never had it with mine, im shooting on film though, dont know if that makes a different, wouldnt be surprised if it was though.

bogleric said:
I am looking to purchase a new Rebel XT and notice some companies bundle sigma lenses with them instead of canon lenses. Which is better? I will be honest when it comes to lenses I am fairly wet behind the ears.

Thanks

For the most part, Sigma has very good quality lenses for a bit cheaper than Canon.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back