Rebel XTI for X-Mas!

DrunkenBadman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all i got a Rebel XTI for Christmas ( w/ Tripod) and i love it! I notice sometimes tho i'm not getting the crystal clear shots i see around this website. Is that because the lense that comes with it is crap? Or am i not getting the correct settings for the ambient light where i'm shooting my subjects? Will a lower ISO setting help with improving the detail of my pictures?

I also need some new lenses badly. I know they run for like a 'g' so i'm trying to get the most bang for my buck. I'm most interested in shooting scenery, people, and LOTS of macro. Any Reccommendations?

Lastly are there any good books out there to teach the basics? I'm looking more for photo techniques than technical camera know-how.

Well, back to reading the manual

Happy Shooting!

keep your iso as low as possible, which may lead to longer exposures, which you should then use a tripod.

yes, while the kit lens is sub par, its not that bad if you know how to use it, yes, some of your images may not be as sharp because of it.

2 good books id recommend are Scott Kelby's Digital Photography book, (with its sequel coming out in jan.) as well as Understanding Exposure: By Bryan Peterson

I've never used the XT/XTi kit lens (just bought the body), but it's a pretty low-quality lens, and probably the reason you're not getting sharp photos. To test it, try going outside on a nice bright day, turn on your auto-focus, and set the camera to f/8 or f/11. Set your ISO to 100, and shoot around. Make sure your shutter speeds are at least 1/60 (which shouldn't be a problem on a sunny day). This should give you the sharpest possible photos with that lens.

If you're looking to upgrade without breaking the bank (you didn't mention a budget), definitely check out Canon's 50mm f/1.8, and Sigma's 70-300mm macro lenses (there's the APO DG and just the DG).

I just finished reading Bryan Peterson's book Understanding exposure. It was a very good book. Though I already knew most of it since I am in a photography class, it was very nice and cleared up and and all fuzzy detail.

Another great book by Bryan Peterson is Beyond Portraiture : creative people photography. It's a very helpful book and i encourage you to read both. I am gonna look through the library soon and pick up another good book.

Thanks for the replies. I've heard a lot about that 'understanding exposure' book so i think i'm going to pick that bad boy up today! Also frXnz thanks for the shooting advice! I went out today and i noticed much crisper sharper pictures than i've been able to take thus far. Thanks again to all.

Happy Shooting!

This is just a quick picture i took of my neighbor's step. Is this close to what i can expect for quality out of this stock lense? I know the composition and what-not is crap, but how about for crispness?

bf4f6a2d.jpg

I started off with a Canon rebel, They are very good beginning cameras.

The best lenses that I have gotten for it was a 300mm and a 50mm

I love the 300mm... because of the zoom, I am a journalistic shooter.. so I love being able to shoot subjects, with them barely noticing I'm even there.. the pictures turn out "real"...
The 50mm is a good one, very basic with no zoom... BUT when you are trying to achieve a strong focal point with a blur background, those are great. I actually use my 50mm a lot while doing weddings.

search on google by typing "cheap lens"... there are site where you can get lenses really cheap.. I've gotten great deals... from lenses being over-stocked..

Never, go to a photo store to buy a lens... no, artist should pay full sale price... too expensive to keep up with art that way.

Most reactions

Back