Rebel XTi - which lens?

unkN

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey, I was looking at lenses to buy for my XTi... I currently use a Canon 28-90mm USM II - from a Rebel Ti film camera. I've found that I'd like to move on and upgrade a bit without spending too much. Here's what I've narrowed it down to:

Option 1) Tamron 17-50mm lens f/2.8 - Appealing because of the quality for the price. This is basically the top of my budget. It doesn't the Image Stabilizer that my next option does, IS is that I could definitely utilize... but will the larger aperture make up for it?

Option 2) Canon 18-55mm lens and the Canon 50mm f/1.8 lens. Really only because the 18-55 has IS... which I know would help me in almost every situation. Then I'd also be able to get the 50mm f/1.8 lens just since I've heard good things about it and I'd have a little bit more money left over.

Option 3) Sigma 17-70 - Not so appealing unless someone convinces me otherwise.

-I was basically convinced to get the Tamron but then the idea of the image stabilizer made me rethink my decision. Uhh... suggestions?

I was actually looking at the Canon 50mm f/1.8 lens today on Amazon, but decided against it because a couple of the reviews stated that the lens fell apart after only about a year.

I was actually looking at the Canon 50mm f/1.8 lens today on Amazon, but decided against it because a couple of the reviews stated that the lens fell apart after only about a year.

Is this a joke? lol. At a price of under 100 bills i wouldnt be expecting an "L"

But seriously (and i dont shoot canon) the "nifty-fifty" is a GREAT lens, very sharp and will really help you move forward with your photography.

I was actually playing around with the new XSI in target and it had the 18-55mm IS. Its a lot nicer then the older 18-55mm, much smoother and the IS is a nice treat.

No joke. One of the reviews said it fell apart after a few months.

the 17-70 sigma isn't a bad lens. it's pretty sharp at f/2.8 even and having some macro capabilities is pretty cool

the review was correct the 50 isn't the most sturdy built lense... my friend's 50 fell apart on him, but he doesn't take care of his gear that well... i've had mine for over 2 years and it still works great... hands down best lens for that price

The 50 isn't built incredibly strong, but strong enough. It's pretty amazing that you can have a lens of that quality for $80.

I had the XTI with 18-55mm kit lens as well as the 50mm f1.8.

Yes, the 50mm f1.8 is all cheap plastic feel but I really think if someone take good care of it, it will last long. Of course, not as long as other good quality lens such as the L lenses as other mentioned.

Right now, after I save up some money, there are 2 lens I would like to get (and sell the Kit Lens).

Canon 70-200mm F4L (used)
Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 (new or used)
Prefered the one that is made in Japan instead of China because of the focus problem some people reported.

What about IS? .... hum I thought of that but I would rather have a faster Tamron. IS compensate the camera shake, but not moving object. If most of the time you are taking photos outdoor, IS may not be used too much since your shutter speed usually very fast.

The IS basically allow longer exposure without affected by camera shake. If I want to take a photo of my daughter running around my house, the faster lens is better than the IS lens. (even if she is not running, sometimes I still need a fast shutter speed because her head maybe turning or doing something, you know, a 3 years old kid!)
So my person choice is, faster > IS. Don't get me wrong, if I have the money, I would like to go with both. ($_$)

By the way, I don't think I will get that Sigma lens (based on reviews). I do not mean that is bad, just the Tamron 17-50mm seems to be a lot better in Image Quality and the price different is not that much.

No joke. One of the reviews said it fell apart after a few months.

I'd believe that, but it most certainly wouldnt keep me from buying one....

Well if your planning on bringing the 50 on a treck through Africa, maybe it's a bad choice. But if you take care of your stuff, it should last.

Most reactions

Back