Recent child portrait session

Will you have an assistant on hand when you use your reflector. Just sayin, when you shoot small kids that are constantly moving you may find it difficult to throw a reflector in their direction. If you work on 'finding the light' first, and put the child in that general direction to play and do their thing, you'll get much more natural shots!

Will you have an assistant on hand when you use your reflector. Just sayin, when you shoot small kids that are constantly moving you may find it difficult to throw a reflector in their direction. If you work on 'finding the light' first, and put the child in that general direction to play and do their thing, you'll get much more natural shots!

No, I won't have an assistant, but then again, I do not do photo shoots with children very often for the pure and simple fact that they don't stop moving. I worked at Sears Portrait Studio and all the pressure from the parents to get their little 'angels' smiling and looking right at the camera made me despise photographing children. I gear myself more towards weddings and sports photography (Yes they are always moving in sports, but it doesn't matter if they aren't looking at the camera or smiling)

Oh! haha yes I could see how shooting that many kids and dealing with that many parents would burn you out! lol. I thought that from this post being children, that this is what you were looking to get in to.

Oh! haha yes I could see how shooting that many kids and dealing with that many parents would burn you out! lol. I thought that from this post being children, that this is what you were looking to get in to.

Lol DEFINITELY not. I really would love to be into sports photography, but am focusing on weddings and adult portraits right now. :) I did this shoot for a friend, the oldest girl lives in NC with her mom and she was visiting with dad for the summer, so this was a little surprise shoot for him so he would have some pictures of her when she went back home.

This one also was taken with no flash, one reflector, sunset on her left and a little behind, gold reflector about 45% to her right.

p672547986-4.jpg

Thanks! I hate shooting with flash because it just makes it look...snapshot. I am shooting an indoor wedding in a month or so and I am worried about that but I have a great diffuser for my SB-600
Id reccomend getting your flash off the camera. this is what i used Nikon SC-29 TTL Off-Camera Shoe Cord with AF Assist - 4766 - B&H until I got my d90 and switched to wireless. You will see a drastic improvement using off camera lighting. you can do some cool things with flash and low light.

shot after right after sunset with a sb-600 in a micro softbox camera left

Izak-10

Thanks! I hate shooting with flash because it just makes it look...snapshot. I am shooting an indoor wedding in a month or so and I am worried about that but I have a great diffuser for my SB-600
Id reccomend getting your flash off the camera. this is what i used Nikon SC-29 TTL Off-Camera Shoe Cord with AF Assist - 4766 - B&H until I got my d90 and switched to wireless. You will see a drastic improvement using off camera lighting. you can do some cool things with flash and low light.

shot after right after sunset with a sb-600 in a micro softbox camera left

Izak-10

The only problem that I am worried about with the wedding is that it is going to be a room that is PACKED and things will be moving quickly, I may not have time to set up the wireless triggers and the off camera flash. I am shooting a wedding on Saturday too but that will be outdoors (As long as the hurricane doesn't hit us)

The last picture is absolutely adorable!!

The last picture is absolutely adorable!!

Isn't he the cutest little thing? I was trying to get him to smile the whole time but the only thing that did it was barking like a dog. Lol. Yet another reason I do not normally shoot children's portraits.

I have another children's shoot with a 3 year old and a 4 year old next weekend...they know me which is good and they are pretty good listeners so I am hoping we can get it done quickly without too much fuss. We are going to try some in-studio and if that doesn't work, out to the park we go.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back