Recent moon image

Aloicious

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.photographywild.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Got a good shot of the moon last night, processed it a couple different ways. it was actually shot just prior to full sun setting, so there is a blue cast on the lower portion of it, but this is a 'normal' processing of it:
moon-5-29-12_0001.jpg

the harsh sidelighting brought out some nice detail, so I re-processed it to bring out as much surface detail as I could. it doesn't look like it would just looking at it, but all the details are interesting to examine.
moon-5-29-12.jpg

great detail, but for some reason it seems abruptly cut off ... not sure if it's because of the post processing or what but it's a really harsh line b/w the moon and the blackness.

So... that's a pretty big lens then, huh?

heh yeah, it's pretty large, but that kind of telescope is a lot more compact than my other one which is the same diameter (8"), but it's a newtonian type, so it's like ~4.5 feet long.

ummm...that's crazy cool

Thanks, astrophotography extremely difficult, I'm still learning, but it's a blast

great detail, but for some reason it seems abruptly cut off ... not sure if it's because of the post processing or what but it's a really harsh line b/w the moon and the blackness.

that's pretty normal, I think it was only roughly 60% full that night, the edge of the light is normally pretty harsh, especially when it's side lit like that. you can see the small highlights right on the border of the light/dark area which are edges of craters and other surface anomalies.

I should get Phoebe out more often this summer.

DSC_3489a.jpg

NikontoCelestron08.jpg

pano.jpg

Why is the top of the moon so soft?

Cool photo though.

Cool photo though.

Might have been turbulence in the air. Not only do telescopes magnify the subject, they also magnify the 'boiling' effect of all the atmosphere 'twixt the camera & the edge of space.

wild. There's so many sub-sects of photography it's unfathomable. Nice rig, great detail! I'd love to see some deep space shots yo manage with that telescope and D800!

wild. There's so many sub-sects of photography it's unfathomable. Nice rig, great detail! I'd love to see some deep space shots yo manage with that telescope and D800!

yeah, I'm trying to work on some tracking/guiding issues I'm having with the scope mount right now, but soon I'll try to shoot some deep space objects. I live really close to some very dark sky areas so it should be pretty good, I'm also working on building a fast imaging scope (~500mm focal length around f3.2ish) that will help out with stuff like that too.

Cool photo though.

Might have been turbulence in the air. Not only do telescopes magnify the subject, they also magnify the 'boiling' effect of all the atmosphere 'twixt the camera & the edge of space.

bingo, I was out in a desert and this image was taken just after sunset before the sky was fully dark, so it was still pretty warm and starting to cool down. so the temperature differences (among other things) through the atmosphere give different refractive indexes and are magnified by the telescope, and the closer to the horizon you get, the more atmosphere you have to shoot though, which causes more problems, this was probably 40 degrees above the horizon or so.

Sparky, is that celestron a 9.25" SCT? it seems larger than the 8" scopes I'm used to in comparison with the camera body.

I'm jealous. I'd love to see some shots of Jupiter. I was able to see it once on and old telescope I had...barely made out saturn...looked more like a start with a ring...but I saw it. Took me like 2 hours to find it. lol

planetary imaging is usually best done through video then stacking the individual frames, I really want to try it out with the D800 video settings, it should do pretty well. once I get the tracing setup more accurately, I'm for sure going to try it out.

in fact I'm a member of the local astronomical society, and we have a observatory that the club owns which is pretty close to me, and they have a huge 32" diameter reflector scope that I want to hook the camera up to...in astronomy world, the larger the diameter of the mirror/cell, the more desireable since they can take in and focus more light and make fainter things brighter to the eye, and camera. I'd love to get some DSOs and planetary shots with that...

Most reactions

Back