Recent Photo Shoot..

Trevor Rickson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey Everyone!

I'm new to the forum and would like to share a few photos from a recent shoot to see what you guys think! I look forward to interacting in the community!

Thank you!
sit3-DSC_5589-Edit-2017.jpg
tree4-DSC_5572-2017.jpg
treestump-DSC_5638-2017.jpg
treewalk-DSC_5553-Edit-2017.jpg

The lighting is nice, sculpting her features well. Her hair also looks great, which is something I wish more photographers would pay attention to; for a planned photo shoot, it's worth it to make sure the model has her hair looking it's best otherwise it can ruin the entire look. Healthy looking hair ALWAYS makes a portrait look better.

I think her skin tone could be a bit richer in the first shot. Also, in the first and the third shot I feel like the leg positioning is a bit awkward. In the first shot you only see a glimpse of one leg, and I feel like you could have used her legs to create more harmonizing lines for the overall image composition. In the third shot I think it looks kind of weird to just have her foot poking out, and again I think was a missed opportunity to use her legs to create some shapes and lines to enhance the image composition. Similarly, the hand that's reaching around the branch in the last shot kind of looks awkward, as if it were a dismembered hand.

Another thing I notice about her leg in the first shot is it's purple tone, causing it to look dead. I would use a layer mask on a "color balance" adjustment layer in photoshop to isolate the area and match the skin tone with the warm tone of the rest of her body.

The processing on the third photo is interesting and I think it's headed in the right direction, however I think you could do some editing to add warmer tones to her skin, which in turn would have a nice harmonizing contrast with the overall green tones you added.

Last edited:
The lighting is nice, sculpting her features well. Her hair also looks great, which is something I wish more photographers would pay attention to; for a planned photo shoot, it's worth it to make sure the model has her hair looking it's best otherwise it can ruin the entire look. Healthy looking hair ALWAYS makes a portrait look better.

I think her skin tone could be a bit richer in the first shot. Also, in the first and the third shot I feel like the leg positioning is a bit awkward. In the first shot you only see a glimpse of one le, and I feel like you could have used her legs to create more harmonizing lines for the overall image composition. In the third shot I think it looks kind of weird to just have her foot poking out, and again I think was a missed opportunity to use her legs to create some shapes and lines for the image composition. Similarly, the hand that's reaching around the branch in the last shot kind of looks awkward, as if it were a dismembered hand.

Another thing I notice about her leg in the first shot is it's purple tone, causing it to look dead. I would use a layer mask on a "color balance" adjustment layer in photoshop to isolate the area and match the skin tone with the warm tone of the rest of her body.

The processing on the third photo is interesting and I think it's headed in the right direction, however I think you could do some editing to add warmer tones to her skin, which in turn would have a nice harmonizing contrast with the overall green tones you added.

Awesome critique Dan! Thanks so much for your input and time you spent writing that as I do value it!

I'm new to the forum and would like to share a few photos from a recent shoot to see what you guys think!
Welcome! I viewed your photos, but can't comment until you have posted at least 10 times. (forum rules)

You received a very solid C&C from Dan. Welcome to TPF!

As Dan has mentioned, overall they are very good but there are a couple of color issues. I think the first is my favorite of the group.

Welcome! I viewed your photos, but can't comment until you have posted at least 10 times. (forum rules)

What?
Confusion, maybe, with rule pertaining to contests and voting.

I love the color/mood of the first, I'd work to make the rest match. The green of #2 isn't doing much for me.

Last edited:
Confusion, maybe, with rule pertaining to contests and voting.
To clarify: Negative criticism may not be posted until the OP has posted a minimum of 10 posts.[/QUOTE]

I thought the person giving the critique had the 10 post requirement, not the person receiving the critique.

Overall well done, and I really can't add much beyond Dan's comments other to reinforce the need for ensuring your WB is correct.

#2 needs greens adjusted, #3 needs orange adjusted, and #4 needs red adjusted.

overall a nice set with a very nice model.

From a composition standpoint:
1. Not a fan of the background (perhaps shoot wider to show more environment?) and the straightened right arm. I always hear Benji's rules of portraiture in my head, "If it bends, bend it".

2. I feel this is where a shallow depth of field would've really worked. Put the model in front of the background and allow the background to blur. Watch the color. Greens in nature can be our worst enemy when it comes to white balance control.

3. Best of the set.

4. This is another one where the background is interesting and would benefit with the model in front of it and allowing a shallow depth of field to enhance the image.

Thanks for sharing!

To clarify: Negative criticism may not be posted until the OP has posted a minimum of 10 posts.
I'm confused, did I do something wrong? I thought the entire point to the forum is to receive feedback, so I gave feedback. If I'm in the wrong for doing so, I'll happily find somewhere else to do this because that's a screwed up rule in my opinion that I cannot agree with.

EDIT:
Sorry, I wasn't seeing all of the posts as I could not see what a certain member was saying, hence why it appeared like @SquarePeg was saying we couldn't leave feedback.

Last edited:
I'm new here so I am confused as well. For what it is worth Dan, I really did value your feedback and expected to get a critique. A critique to me includes both positive and negative which I thought you did very well. Thank you again.

Most reactions

Back