Recent Shoot- C&C welcome

cjfontaine

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Maybe I can get some insight into a few raw (unedited) images of mine. I am just looking for some advice for elevating my photography from just snapshots. Perhaps some Post processing ideas and additional location lighting suggestions?

Pics are taken with a T2i, Cannon 17-40mm f/4 lens and my Nissin Di866 flash. We were losing light but there were two lights mounted on the staircase I tried to utilize.
BTW These are photos of a local musical artist.

_MG_0237.jpg

_MG_0244.jpg

_MG_0228.jpg

From an artistic perspective, these images don't do a lot for me; was there a specific purpose/intent or vision that you had for them? I think perhaps had you used longer glass and/or greater subject to camera separation to allow for a less focused background they would have been much stronger. Technically they seem fine with the exception of a yellow cast which is either a WB issue, reflection from all of the yellow or a combination.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

I kinda agree with Tirediron...unedited images are pretty good...but the 1st and 2nd poses are a bit too posey for me...1 is more natural...IMHO....but the expression on his face is a bit...hmmm...odd?

I kinda like the first one but I think it needs some editing. I'd say it's a candidate for some heavy editing too.. since it's kind of strange to begin with. In any event, it needs to be rotated counter-clockwise to be level.

Here's a few takes on it, you might hate them but I was bored so..

Nik color effex 3: burnt sienna:
DTlBT.jpg

cbS7j.jpg

Also, here's an edit of the 3rd one:

Similar editing as the other black and white conversion. Nik Software color effex 3 plugin, 'infrared film' filter. I then added some fine film grain.

eb14E.jpg

EDIT: what the hell, might as well do the other as well.

Used color effex for this as well. First did a bleach bypass filter and then an "ink" filter which changed the coloring. This particular image really needs grit added to look right imo.
yWHa2.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome, I really appreciate hearing some feedback.

On artistic intent, I work with artists and musicians and models (occasional Bride) trying to create an image of themselves. Our discussion beforehand was to bring some whim or fancy to industrial traditionally unglamourous locations, I called it Industrial Casualties. I could show a few more of him getting into character as other sterotypically outcast characters. Feels silly to say amongst pros but it was our attempt at being editorial.

Some new glass is def needed. I am strongly leaning toward a couple of primes to get better DOF; specifically the 85mm and the 100mm all around f/2. Will that get the desired affect?
Could you explain adding "greater subject to camera separation to lens"? Do you mean stand farther away and/or change focal length (I really hope I'm saying this right)?

Reznap: I am going to try the CP split in LR with a direct positive, it could be sick! I post it if it doesn't suck :-D

Thanks again!!!

The colors in #1 & #2 are awfully jaundiced and a bit too cool in #3.

Leg position in #2 is wrong in so many ways.

Tough guy with a purple kerchief and a tee shirt with rainbows and castles on it? pffttt All we're missing is the unicorns.

I like where you're going with these, but this result needs to be examined further. On the next occassion, you will put more pieces of the puzzle together.

not sure if anyone will like this edit but I wanted to have fun with it and really do something different. I think you should play around with some different techniques like this and find something you think your client would like. I got a very colorful and quirky vibe from this guy which is my reason for this edit. I think you had some neat ideas just need a little more practice.

_MG_0237.jpg

Edited Photo
_MG_0237-2.jpg

minus the direct positive and a few specific color alterations = kinda awesome

Thanks again.

^ Good edit but I'm telling you it needs a slight CCW rotation.

Most reactions

Back