Rechargeable AA Batteries

Markw

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.outsidetherainbow.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all. I will be getting in a new camera tomorrow with a grip. I was wondering what type of rechargeable batteries everyone uses, whether it be for the camera grip or for the flash. I am dying to hear these extra 3.5FPS, so I would like to pick up the batteries as soon as possible. I currently only have 4 Rayovac batteries, and they are for my flash.

Basically, I was wondering if anyone uses off-brand batteries and, if so, which brand so I can pick some up. Links would be wonderful, but if you dont have one on hand, brand name, any specifications I may need, and user comments are appreciated. :mrgreen:

Thanks alot.
Mark

I have a couple sets of these and they seem to be fine.

For a good charger, look here. They also offer an 8 bay charger, maybe 16 bay too.

Annsmann, Sanyo, Everready, Kodak...all have been okay for me.

Perfect. Thanks everyone. If anyone has any more, Id love to hear them. :thumbsup:

Mark

Stay away from Duracell. I have a set of 2650mAh, and they are great workhorse cells.... when they are freshly charged. The PITA is that they only hold that charge for about 4 days. I don't know if I got a hold of a bad batch or what, but I certainly won't buy them again.

For rechargable batteries NIMH are the way to go. Sanyo Eneloops are NIMH that will hold a charge for a long time but they only come in 2100 mAH capacity. The link that kundalini gave is for Powerex and they come in a higher capacity than the Eneloops but they don't hold their charge for too long.

Example - The Powerex may give you 500 flash firings where the Eneloops may give you 350 but the Eneloops will last months with their charge where the Powerex will last only a week.

I also have a Maha charger but not the one in the link. It came with a car charge and is capable of charging batteries in 1 1/2 hours on quick charge. I bought it before the newer charges came out but I think having a car charger and fast charge would come in handy if the need arises.

In all honesty, I would rather the batteries last for 500 flashes and have to charge once a week than to have charged batteries for a month when they only get 350 flashes out of them. I will be using these batteries in my camera's grip, however. So flashes arent of my concern. I know the same logic would transfer over to the grip as well, so Id rather them be stronger than work longer, if you catch my drift.

Mark

Personally, my plans would be to have both but that's me. I would want the Eneloops available because they keep a charge just in case I forgot to charge the other ones. I had bought the Powerex batteries and charger first due to my P&S ate batteries - I was really impressed in how well they lasted. My charger takes about 1 1/2 hours but dead batteries are dead batteries, the Powerex batteries (almost every brand of NIMH as well) lose 1% of their charge per day. Having at least one set that can be charged and stored would be beneficial just in case the others don't get charged for some reason.

My question to you is I thought grips take the battery that comes in the camera (at least the D90 grip does) why not buy the battery that's for the camera? It probably would be about the same as a bunch of batteries and a charger.

Because my new camera, the D300s, only gets 6FPS with the Nikon manufactured battery in the grip. With the AAs, it gets 8FPS. For some reason, it cant achieve the extra FPS with the Nikon battery. I suppose the extra Nikon battery just isnt enough juice to allow the camera to function in that way.

Mark

Im thinking about getting 2300 MaH NiMH Energizers. I found a great deal on them still in the package. Like you said, not that much capacity, but, at this price, I can purchase more of them and use them for both my camera and my flash. :thumbsup:

Mark

In all honesty, I would rather the batteries last for 500 flashes and have to charge once a week than to have charged batteries for a month when they only get 350 flashes out of them. I will be using these batteries in my camera's grip, however. So flashes arent of my concern. I know the same logic would transfer over to the grip as well, so Id rather them be stronger than work longer, if you catch my drift.

Mark

Sanyo Eneloops then.

When I first started with using speedlights, I had 8 eneloops for two of my flashes and 4 generic rechargeables. I was shooting in about 40F degree weather and the generic batteries were dead in a matter of minutes while the Eneloops did what I needed them too.

That and I'll leave them in my flashes for weeks at a time without having to recharge them.

Stay away from Duracell. I have a set of 2650mAh, and they are great workhorse cells.... when they are freshly charged. The PITA is that they only hold that charge for about 4 days. I don't know if I got a hold of a bad batch or what, but I certainly won't buy them again.
I beg to differ. I've been using Duracells AAA's in a set of wireless earphones and house phones, and I can swear by them. Not only do they come out of the package ready to use, they last a lot longer than others I've used. You might be using a set before the new improved version came out.

Last edited:

Mark

Sanyo Eneloops then.

When I first started with using speedlights, I had 8 eneloops for two of my flashes and 4 generic rechargeables. I was shooting in about 40F degree weather and the generic batteries were dead in a matter of minutes while the Eneloops did what I needed them too.

That and I'll leave them in my flashes for weeks at a time without having to recharge them.

+1 Enloops make such a difference :mrgreen:

Also do have a look at the recharger kundalini links to. A poor recharger will kill the life span of your batteries and significantly damage their performance - whilst a good recharger will not only keep the batteries going, but can even recondition older poorer performance batteries.

The one kundalini links to is one I use myself and it will do both slower recharging (takes ages, but is good for preserving battery capacity and lifespan) as well as faster recharging for when you need things do be done faster.

I've been using the Energizer green ones for awhile, they seem to do the job but probably die quicker than I'd like. But I expected that.

Anyone try the new Apple rechargeable AAs?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back