Rechargeables in flash?

and also BC-900 La Crosse Technology charger.

Yup I forgot to mention that I switched to one of those a couple of months back, and WOW what a difference it has made. Plus since you can see the numbers of each cell you can track when one is starting to look bad or to try and create a matching set.

I use a combination of a quantum pack, energizer 2500s, and energizer lithiums. the quantum pack is the most reliable in terms of recycle, but they can kill strobes so you have to watch it, as JerryPH said. I like lithiums for shooting events (like dark clubs or shows) they recycle slightly faster than the rechargable AAs, and are half the weight. the 2500s are for when what I'm doing isn't overly important or as a backup.

I use a combination of a quantum pack, energizer 2500s, and energizer lithiums. the quantum pack is the most reliable in terms of recycle, but they can kill strobes so you have to watch it, as JerryPH said. I like lithiums for shooting events (like dark clubs or shows) they recycle slightly faster than the rechargable AAs, and are half the weight. the 2500s are for when what I'm doing isn't overly important or as a backup.

OK guys, someone is going to have to explain this to me. How does a battery with lower voltage than a standard battery, "Kill" a strobe? I can understand if the user, fires the flash too fast, because the batteries allow them to kill the strobe, but this is abuse by the operator, not the fault of the battery. Anyway, someone explain it to me please.

I can tell you that with a NiCad or others if there's a short, they will melt the wires and possibly start the flash on fire, but that's not using the normal charging circuit, it's a dead short. Do they still make NiCads? :wink:

I've used rechargeable for years and saved loads of money by not having to buy new batteries every week. I just ran my three sets of four that I use in the slaves, just because I had some time. They do leak down. I also number them or color code and run them in matched sets.

Mixing old and new is just as bad for standard batteries as it is for rechargeable. The weaker batteries will draw from the good ones and make for shorter life of all. The weak batteries are charging from the good ones and stealing voltage.

Quick chargers will shorten your battery life because they heat up the batteries. Heat is the enemy. Slow charge except when necessary.

Rechargeable will run at full voltage 1.2-1.3v up until they are 96% dead and then suddenly go away. Standard batteries will slowly lose voltage from 1.5v as they get older. That's why a rechargeable suddenly stops cycling your flash and the standard batteries will just get slower and slower.

When they get old, I use them in TV remotes, flashlights and radios that don't demand the current that a flash does. That's only for people who want to pull the batteries out of their remote every six months and re-charge them. :thumbup:

Finally, Lithium have no liquid electrolyte means they are immune from leaking!

Last edited:
Same set up as NJMAN, Costco has had Sanyo Eneloops on cheap up here, so I got 18 of them, (6 AAA too for my wireless headphones) and with the BC900 chanrger, I am getting lots of life out of these. The 2000 mAh Eneloops last way longer than my 2500 mAh Energizers, and my old 2200 mAh Radio Shack NiMh AA's. This is my recommendation if you are using Speedlights, Eneloops and BC900, guaranteed to pay for themselves many times over in the life of your speedlight.

I have been looking at http://batteriesamerica.com/newpage3.htm the 2700maH SANYO AA. The third from the top. I have heard great things about Eneloops but at only 2000mah, I'm wondering how long they will last because that battery tester http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS/BATTS/BATTS.HTM most of the batteries don't even go up to the "rate" mah they are supposed to have (the Energizer ones only put out 2100 and are supposed to be rated at 2300?

I belive I'm going to take back the $4.49/cell 2800 mah cells and chargers and just get the 8 cell smart charger and two 4 packs of the energizer batteries and be done with it all

~Michael~

Currently I have 4 flashes that use energizer rechargeables, and 3 flashes that use cr-123's (buy them in lots of 40 on ebay). I am not exactally sure but I have around 40 of the rechargeable energizers for cameras and flashes that use them. I also keep 8 or so fresh normal AA's in my bags just in case. I have had 2 energizers go bad in about 3 years time. Both of them failed to charge (warning light on charger). Never had a failure in a camera or flash.

Bump.

I was wondering about rechargeables in my SB-800. I use 5 so it would be awkward for charging. Two separate charges. Anyways, I think fro mwhat I have just read, I will start using them. I have been using Lithiums, but they are too damn expensive. $10 for 4. I need two packs. My simple math tells me $20 and tax for that.

Anyways, I'm going to get some rechargables now

Good choice.

- Lithiums will NOT last nea as long
- Lithiums are bad for the environment
- Lithiums are expensive!

It is better to purchase more rechargers and batteries than use your flash enough to go through a pack of 24 lithium batteries.

I personally own 5 rechargers now, so I can do 20 at a time. I have a LOT of batteries to recharge when I do a lot of off camera strobe shooting. I make sure that I have 4 complete sets of batteries per strobe that are freshly charged with me when things get serious. It is worth it.

Concerning the 5th battery for the SB-800... I used to go around with that attached all the time, then I took it off. It was better for a couple reasons... first it never cut down the recharge times all that much... I replaced the batteries more than when it became a factor. Second, recharging an odd number of batteries is a bit of a wrench in the machine in the recharging process, but still is no big deal if you have enough chargers going.

On serious gigs I carry this 4-foot commercial power bar that I can use to plug in all 5 of my chargers, as well as the 2 110v strobes and still have several plugs available.

Well I took back the energizer chargers (with the 2 batteries each) and the 5 2700 mah cells I got for the almost $5 a cell.

I took those back and picked up an 8 cell smart charger by Powerrex! I wish it charged 10 batteries but beggars can't be choosers and I'm going to get two or three packs of the Sanyo Eneloops considering that's the consensus here that they last the longest.

~Michael~

OK guys, someone is going to have to explain this to me. How does a battery with lower voltage than a standard battery, "Kill" a strobe? I can understand if the user, fires the flash too fast, because the batteries allow them to kill the strobe, but this is abuse by the operator, not the fault of the battery. Anyway, someone explain it to me please.

The external battery packs may be of lower voltage, but they can recharge the cap faster than the stock 4 (or 5 in the case of a SB-800), AA batteries ever could. All it takes is about 30 (it could be 10, it could be 50... I just happen to see one die in about 30) flashes with an over eager photographer at a fasion shoot. He took those 30 shots consecutively and then noticed all his models had bad shadows on one side of their faces/bodies.

It was officially dead. The flash head overheated and killed the flash. The front plastic "clear" element was brown and one part badly melted.

BTW, eneloops do not last the longest where it counts... they last the longest in the closet when not being used... they do NOT give you more flashes than even 2200mah rechargeable batteries (that continuously lose their charge slowly over time in the closet). 2700mah recharged batteries will get you at least 150-200 more flashes before needing to be changed in comparison to the eneloops.

The eneloops will not drain anywhere near as much if you leave them in a closet for a month, though. Thats not something that really bothers me.

I guess I should have been clearer with that. That's what I was thinking. They would have more shelf life and LAST longer not being used. I should have realized that 2700mah will of course last longer than 2000mah. Looks like I"m on my way to Wal-Mart to get some of the energizer.

I think I'm going to like the smart charger. Can't wait to use it.

I'll just go with the energizer even though they're only rated at 2300 mah on the battery tester.

~MIchael~

2624806821_bee0840841.jpg

win.

No, I think I win... lol

generatr.jpg

12KW deisel electrical generator in the back of the truck. Enough to power all the electrical needs of 8 houses on my street in an emergency.. lmao!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back