What's new

recommend a FX macro lens?

Joined
Aug 15, 2011
Messages
107
Reaction score
2
Location
Australia
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hi, I want to get into macrophotography, I am looking at the nikon 200mm f/4D IF-ED they have at my local pawn shop for $800AUD. Do you think it is a good buy? Are there better options out there on the market?

Thanks for reading.
 
I don't know what it costs down there, but the new Sigma 150mm 2.8 OS Macro has caught my eye. Has been getting awesome reviews, and I think stabilisation in a macro lens is a nice feature. It's also the longest f/2.8 Macro lens I've seen.
 
Great lens, not such a great price IMO. Not sure what the used gear market is like in Aus, but over here, I wouldn't want to pay any more than $5-600.
 
Great lens, not such a great price IMO. Not sure what the used gear market is like in Aus, but over here, I wouldn't want to pay any more than $5-600.

Are we talking about the same lens here? Because according to Nikon 200mm Micro this lens should be around $1600. On ebay, they are about $1350 brand new. Why wouldn't you pay more than $600?
 
Why wouldn't you pay more than $600?
Because apparently I can't read this morning. I totally missed which version of the lens you indicated in your OP. Yes, that is a great lens, and yes, that is a very good price, assuming it is in good condition. As far as better options, depends; what is most important to you, build/image quality, price, or focal length?
 
The 200 is a wonderful macro lens, and it you find a used one for a price like that.. yes, GOOD deal! (if it is in good shape, and works, at least!) Not a typical beginner lens though.... most people start out with something a lot less expensive. One of the main advantages to the 200 is the closest focusing distance (.5 meters) for 1:1 .. which allows you to maintain some distance from your subject and not spook them. It also allows working with some venomous or dangerous Macro subjects, with much less risk to the photographer. I got to use one of these lenses (borrowed from a buddy) and have been trying to talk myself into one ever since... :)

The older Sigma 180 and 150, and the new 150 they released also have extended distances like this.. and they can sometimes be found used for a lot less (the 180 is really a great lens!).. and the new 150 is usually around $800 or so new.

if you are just starting Macro, you may want to start with a lesser lens (although that is a really great price for a Nikkor 200).. just to make sure you enjoy it. It has it's own challenges and difficulties, but is very enjoyable.
 
That's the macro lens I wanted to get intially. All the reviews I read on it said it was the Nikon macro to have. I couldn't afford it and the 300 f/4 though and I shoot more with the tele. As a result I got the Tamron 90mm f/2.8 macro which is also a very good macro lens if you're looking for something in a more affordable price range. I agree with the others - if I had the money and the lens was in good condition I would snap that one up.
 
All nikon fx dslrs can use the older manual focus micro nikkors.The 105mm f2.8 ais micro nikkor is as good or better then any macro lens you can buy for nikon, and it only cost around $230 used. Just about all macro work is done in manual focus with vr turned off, so your not missing anything, other then a lot of plastic, compared to a new $1000 version.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom