recommend a negative scanner..help

horseracingfreak

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hey guys/gals,
just found this website today and i suspect im going to spend alot of time here as its exactly what ive been looking for.
the reason for this post, and if im in the wrong spot, i apologize as im learnig this site, is I have a boatload of old 35mm film negatives. about 50% are from the 1980s and i have a good idea whats on them. the rest, i discovered when my dad died and i suspect are atleast 40 years old.
i would like to get some input from people here on a good negative scanner. ideally, it would be able to scan negatives at a high enough resolution that i could print an 8x10 if i saw something i really liked and perhaps also be able to scan some older 4x6 prints i also found.
ive seen some items on camera websites and amazon but would appreciate feedback from anyone that including prices etc ..THANKS!!

Danmunro_nz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi. I think it depends on what you want to spend. There are some good flatbed options about. Or alternatively you could go for a standalone film scanner, Nikon coolscan, or Minolta. I use an Epson V330 and it does a fine job, I paid $350 in New Zealand. I think Epson and Canon are the main options for a flatbed. I have only ever used Epson, I have heard great things about the V700.

webestang64

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
I use a Nikon Cool Scan 9000 (35mm up to 4x5). You can find them on the web used for around $1200-$1600. If you need one just for 35mm, then any of the Nikon Cool Scans are very nice. You could also look for a Minolta Dimage Scan Elite 5400, they sell used for around $400. Another scanner is the Artixscan 4000TF.

limr

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
moderndinosaur.wordpress.com
Photos NOT OK to edit

cgw

Reaction score
I use a Nikon Cool Scan 9000 (35mm up to 4x5). You can find them on the web used for around $1200-$1600. If you need one just for 35mm, then any of the Nikon Cool Scans are very nice. You could also look for a Minolta Dimage Scan Elite 5400, they sell used for around $400. Another scanner is the Artixscan 4000TF.

What??? The 9000ED takes only 35mm/120/220. Please show us all the used 9000EDs for $1200-$1600, too. They're more like double that but have gotten cheaper now that Nikon no longer supports any of them with parts and service.

unpopular

Reaction score
^^^^I agree. They usually go for 3-4k, which seems pretty high to me being that you can get certain flextights for less than that. Never been a fan on Nikon's film scanners. Had a couple that broke and they were always streaking. I did use the 9000ED, but I don't recall much about it, so I am guessing I again wasn't too impressed.

I always liked the Minolta DiMage MultiPro.

If you can find one nearby, a seller that will ship it or can arrange freight, the Scitex Jazz is what I'd recommend. A used Jazz for the money is about the best thing you can get.

There is currently an Eversmart Pro listed for pennies, you should inquire with the seller about freight:

Creo Scitex Eversmart Pro | eBay

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics