Recommendations on a first camera.

aguerra.1993

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello, I was here a while back asking this same question. I never got to buying a camera because I needed to use the money on an emergency. Anyways, I have been researching since then and just informing myself a little more on cameras and I narrowed it down to what I really want. My budget is around $600 or so, and I already have a good memory card so I just need a body and a lens.

I will be using my camera to shoot mostly action sports, but another hobby of mine is also hiking, and nature. I want to do a lot of filming as well. I think my best option would be to get a body and lens separate. What are some recommendations you can give me for what I am looking for? I prefer going with a new camera as well, which I bet makes this twice as hard to think of something that may suit my needs. Any tips will also be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Everything you need to know about buying a camera | The Verge

Action sports and some kinds of nature photography, like birds and wildlife, pretty much require using a telephoto zoom lens that has a maximum focal length of 200 to 300 mm.
400 mm to 600 mm is even better but pretty much beyond your budget.
If the action sports is at night, you don't enough of a budget.

New DSLR (interchangeabel lens) cameras start at about $450 with an 18-55 mm kit lens. A decent 55-200 mm zoom lens is then about $250 more .

$587 USD -
Canon EOS Rebel T3 12.2 MP CMOS Digital SLR with 18-55mm IS II Lens and EOS HD Movie Mode (Black)
Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS II Telephoto Zoom Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras

$597 USD -
Nikon D3100 14.2MP Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX VR Nikkor Zoom Lens
Nikon 55-200mm f4-5.6G ED AF-S DX Nikkor Zoom Lens
$697 USD - with a Nikon image stabilized lens - Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED IF AF-S DX VR [Vibration Reduction] Nikkor Zoom Lens

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Do you think used is the way to go? I have been looking into the T2i and T3i a lot, the t4i is probably out of my price range.

Oh and no, the shooting will pretty much always be in the day and I will not be super far from my subject so 200-300mm will be more than enough. As for the nature part, maybe later on I will be able to get a better telephoto lens, for now my main thing to shoot is all types of skateboarding, distance isn't a large factor there.

Last edited:
I bought my T2i used about two years ago. If you go the Craigslist route, only do in person so you can examine the camera first (so remember to bring your memory card). Ebay, make sure it's a top seller. Amazon, probably can't go wrong if you buy directly from them rather than private sellers. Also, Adorama sells used gear and has a good rep.

Used is definitely a way to get more for your $$$. Consider refurbished too.

Do they have Craigslist in Puerto Rico?

I can't speak for sony cameras, but I bought a nikon d3100 as my first camera about a year ago and have loved it. It has helped me learn the basics of photography and is capable of producing some amazing images. It certainly isn't without its weaknesses, such as relatively poor low-light performance and the menu diving can get old. But if you're looking for an entry-level DSLR that you can grow into, you can find them used-refurb'ed on ebay for under 400 bucks, which is an awesome deal.

I got my Nikon D5100 for just $500 from a guy on Craigslist. It was basically brand new (used for a week), but the guy decided he didn't need it anymore. As bad as it sounds, always try to find dummies! They will give you a great deal :)

I just re-read that you want to do a lot of video, which the d3100 sucks at. so maybe don't bother with the 3100

Do you think used is the way to go? I have been looking into the T2i and T3i a lot, the t4i is probably out of my price range.

Oh and no, the shooting will pretty much always be in the day and I will not be super far from my subject so 200-300mm will be more than enough. As for the nature part, maybe later on I will be able to get a better telephoto lens, for now my main thing to shoot is all types of skateboarding, distance isn't a large factor there.

You can find some pretty decent deals on refurbished Nikons through ebay...they even come with 90 day Nikon warrantees. Example, a D3100 runs about $600~ new while a refurbished unit runs $350.00 (comes w/18-55mm kit lens). You can put the rest of your budget into a 55-200mm VR lens.

Cameta camera offers the D3200 refurbished with a 1 year warranty at a great price. I bought one from them last month for my first camera and it only had 140 pictures taken when I got it and its flawless. well under your budget which would leave room for additional lenses (or skip the kit lens all together and buy one nice lens?)

Thanks everyone, I'll be taking a look at Nikons. I was pretty set on Canons because I was told they were more video friendly.

Take a look at the canon site for re-furbished cameras. I just got a T3i with a kit lens for $392 + tax. They are running a $125 off a purchase of $500 or more, and $50 off a purchase of $250 or more. It was cheaper for me to get a T3i vs the T2i because of the discount; the T3i was over $500. They also come with a 90 day warranty.

An entry-level DSLR will be plenty for you -- D3100 or D5100. Even the D3100 will just about take up your budget, not leaving anything for a lens. But if you go used, you could have more for a lens. I'm assuming you want a DSLR. From my perspective pocket cams are all the same so I can't help there.

Most reactions

Back