Recommended Books on Photography

shawie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
serened.proboards.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I picked up this book from the library and I can already how helpful it will be. I figured I would start this thread so beginners like me can have a go to guide for books on photography. Reply with your recommended book and author and I will add it to the list =)

----------

Complete guide to Photography by John Hedgecoe
Light Science and Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting by Fil Hunter
Lighting for Product Photography: The Digital Photographer's Step-By-Step Guide to Sculpting with Light by Allison Earnest
Speedliter's Handbook: Learning to Craft Light with Canon Speedlites by Syl Arena
Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera by Bryan Peterson

Updated: 2/5/14

Last edited:
Understanding exposure 3rd edition
Light Science And Magic, Highly rated A must have book..................................... for any photographer.
Speedlighters hand book.
lighting for product photography

The classic beginners book is
Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera by Bryan Peterson . $17 on Amazon. If the goal is to stop using Auto-Everything All The Time, then beginners cannot spend $17 better on photography.

It is popular, and probably also in your public library. It is rather a classic for beginners, not because it is deep or great maybe, not really special, not so different than other similar books, except for the effect this one seems to have on beginners. It is a short easy read, half is full page pictures. It will not strain our brain, but we should get the point. The subject is about using shutter speed and aperture - the basics of exposure choices, i.e., about the point of what we are trying to do. Cameras used to only have two settings on them, shutter speed and aperture. If we don't understand those first basics, there will never be any hope. :) It is a jump start for beginners.

Same author has several books, all quite popular, including a similar Understanding Flash book, which frankly is crummy, because it totally excludes TTL flash, which is not what beginners want to hear. The above book has no flash coverage in it. He ain't a flash guy. :)

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Seriously... they should just charge $15 more for every DSLR and include a copy of Understanding Exposure instead of the User Guide/Manual.

YES, I am a huge fan of his many books. I approve of his teaching methods much more so than other, later writers. His books are not "recipe books" like so many are. Hedgecoe teaches one how to seek out and to FIND light, and how to position one's self in relation to the light and the subject matter. His books are not about "how to operate your digital SLR"...they are courses in how to do photography--in any era.

Light Science and Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting by Fil Hunter
Lighting for Product Photography
YES, a very good book.

Speedliter's Handbook: Learning to Craft Light with Canon Speedlites by Syl Arena

Syl is a Canon-shooter's flash guru.

My current stack o' books:

PhotoLibraryApril102014.jpg

It is really very good guide regarding photography. I have read it more than two times and has taken a lot of knowledge from this book.

You've got a pretty good list so far plus plenty of suggestions. Let me offer my 2 cents.

1. I'm a big fan of anything by Bryan Peterson and also Michael Freeman. Why? First, they write well and what they have to say applies at a bunch of levels (beginners and pros can find value in their work plus they've got some lovely images). Secondly, they both write a lot (and Peterson also does Adorama TV/video clips). So if you read one of their books and like it, you can be assured that you'll like others. I probably have 70-75 photography books (not counting collections or coffee table books or bound portfolios) and about 20 of them I go "meh" about b/c I can't handle the writing style or level/depth in the book (too basic, etc.). The advantage of reading a Freeman or Peterson book is that if you like it, you can be safe buying any of their other work.

2. Also look at Joe McNally's work. I love his writing style (it reads like the two of you are off on a shoot and he's talking to you). Maybe some of the best stuff out there on using speed lights for lovely work. Scott Kelby is a great source for just an overall grab-bag of tips and advice in a format that is user-friendly and easy to digest. Harold Davis is prolific. Tony Sweet does excellent stuff on flowers and nature--many fantastic books.

3. Think about what it is you want to shoot. Look at the great photographers in that genre and learn from their work and experiences. Yeah, maybe you're interested in everything. But if you were a landscape/vista person I'd be steering you to stuff by Ansel Adams, Galen Rowell, Michael Frye, and even some urban landscapes like Edward Burtynsky. OTOH, if it was architecture, I'd be pushing some of the works of Stoller and Shulman. Portraits? Wow--where to start...from great examples to how-go's. I've always been a huge fan of David Douglas Duncan (won a pulitzer for his photos of the Korean War, good friend and photographer of Pablo Picasso). I never fail to gain some ideas and insights by looking at the work and/or words of Henri Cartier-Bresson.

Gee.................The most important book isn't on the list and is often not bothered with. The most important book...............

R.T.F.M.

I've never read any photography books before (most of my information has come from this forum and many other places on the internet), however I just ordered Tom Mackie's Landscape Photography Secrets as well as Photos with Impact by the same author. I like the way most of his photography looks and am anxiously awaiting those books' arrival.

Most reactions

Back