Recommended Metadata Editors

korinkite

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi guys
I'm a computer animator that takes photos for inspiration, anatomical, and texture reference.

I'm looking for a batch photo editor where I can quickly add tags, write comments and idea notes (REALLY IMPORTANT), and organize the content of photos for the sake of being able to search for it when necessary later. I'd also like the ability to exclude search results or add requirements like multiple tags in a single search (for example, writing something broad like spikey when I really need reference for "spikey" and "plant" so I don't have to search through photos of porcupines and cave rocks).
I tried using EverNote but I could never get the damned thing to work properly and the added advantage of syncing between devices was never an incentive enough to deal with those frustrations.

A free program would be nice but I am willing to pay. Either is fine. What do you guys recommend for your photo work? Thank you for your reply in advance!

Picasa will handle the tagging end. What photo software do you have now? You may be overlooking what you already own. Also OSX or Windows?

Hi gryphonslair99, I work in Windows and Mac (but prefer Windows). Tagging is important, batch renaming I already have down using Bulk Rename Utility.

I've tried our Bridge but it didn't seem to have the right tools for adding comments and notes that I could find easily. Might be screwing up something there.

Also, 480Sparky, I need to work in batch (working with hundreds of photos and panoramas that I'll be taking) and I see that batch tools haven't been integrated into PhotoME yet. I tried it out anyway, doesn't look like a good fit. Thank you for the suggestion though!

Has anyone tried out Photo Expression Media? I can't find if it has any tag/comment batch features.
Expression Media | Photometadata.org

What are you using to ingest the images now?

I use Photoshop and The Foundry Nuke to process my photos/video (grabbing stills from video if necessary) and I've tried the programs that I wrote above previously for tagging and metadata

What exif data are you needing to edit?

If you want to input copyright, name & address, contact info, etc., I would think PhotoShop would have the ability to do that.

My purposes are less for standard EXIF data like legal info and more for tags so I can look up past reference much more easily. Things like "people" "place" are oo vague. I should be able to find a menacing character design sheet I downloaded by searching "disney" "spike" "bad guy" "expression sheet" at the same time and get images that only have those four tags

I want a comment section so I can look back at what I originally liked the image for (Look at the hair on this part of the body here) or (steel plate analogous color design)

And then finally the batch features for everything so if I'm working on a large project or panorama images I shoot/stitch myself that I can find things quickly.

My purposes are less for standard EXIF data like legal info and more for tags so I can look up past reference much more easily. Things like "people" "place" are oo vague. I should be able to find a menacing character design sheet I downloaded by searching "disney" "spike" "bad guy" "expression sheet" at the same time and get images that only have those four tags

I want a comment section so I can look back at what I originally liked the image for (Look at the hair on this part of the body here) or (steel plate analogous color design)

And then finally the batch features for everything so if I'm working on a large project or panorama images I shoot/stitch myself that I can find things quickly.

That's called keywording is should be a part of PS.

After what you had mentioned about keywording, I gave Bridge another try and found that it actually has all of the features I was looking for!

It's a big clunky but I can get all the keyword options I was looking for in, including an advanced search that pops up where I can specify multiple arguments. I use the description field to type in notes about images that I find important and color coat/star the images that are most useful for production. Thank you for your replies!

Don't feel bad. Lots of people that have it aren't all that familiar with Bridge and it's range of features and capabilities.

I use Lightroom for all but the most intensive of artistic edits (including professionally.. spend 8-10 hours in LR most days for the last several years). Gives you all the features you requested, not to mention a start to finish workflow solution that's the best in the industry and getting better with every release.

Most reactions

Back