Recording time

mclar146

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I have lately noticed that when i shoot RAW the camera takes about 5seconds to record the image. The camera I have is a canon 500D and I am using a sandisk sdhc card.

Please tell me if I am worrying about something i shouldn't be or if this is normal.

cheers, Matt

No I am not, it is very quick with any of the JPEG sizes.

Edit - do you think it could be the memory card?

Could be. I thought it could have been set to R+J, because it would be saving one large file, and processing and saving a second. So, maybe it is a slow card, and the raw file is large enough to be slowin it down.

Couple of questions...when was the last time you formatted your card? Do you have High ISO NR turned on? Could you have possibly enabled dark frame subtraction?

5 seconds to record a file is too long, and yes, I would be worried. Something isn't right. If none of the above questions turns out to be the answer, perhaps, you should try a hard reset for your camera to reset it to factory conditions.

I format the card after every shoot, the noise reduction is on standard. I don't know what dark frame is so.. no?
This only started when i upgraded the firmware to 1.1.1.

so maybe I will reset the camera?

Oh and do would you be able to tell me how to do a hard reset. thank you

If it started when you upgraded the firmware, I would contact Canon directly. Perhaps there's a way to roll back the upgrade. They're probably also want to hear about such a serious flaw.

Most reactions

Back