red-breasted sapsuckers (4)

squirl033

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
there's a birch tree at a park near my house where these little guys love to congregate...

IMG_8040sm.jpg

IMG_7989smpsp9.jpg

IMG_7966sm.jpg

IMG_8570sm_filtered.jpg

Wow, those are AMAZING shots. The detail, color, composition, subject are all super. And to top it all off, that tree...it has so much character. The 2nd and 3rd are my favorite. 2nd because of the bug in his mouth, and the 3rd because of the beautiful sunlight hitting his head, making every little deatil pop. Excellent, excellent job.

I would have macroed on the hole patterns on the tree bark!

Shots 3 and 4 obviously look much better than 1 and 2.

I would have macroed on the hole patterns on the tree bark!

Shots 3 and 4 obviously look much better than 1 and 2.

different light, anyway... more direct, but also harsher, taken earlier in the day. frankly, the hole patterns in the bark are of no interest...

They are of interest if you've ever had them on your trees. I sent pictures to to a garden center to ask what was doing it. They did say a sapsucker. Now I know what I'm dealing with. Half of the apple tree has rings of lined up holes. You think that would exhaust the bird or at least give him a great big headache.

They are of interest if you've ever had them on your trees. I sent pictures to to a garden center to ask what was doing it. They did say a sapsucker. Now I know what I'm dealing with. Half of the apple tree has rings of lined up holes. You think that would exhaust the bird or at least give him a great big headache.

i guess it's not so intriguing when you've seen them since you were old enough to walk outside without help... ;) i grew up with fruit trees covered with these holes, and knew what made them, so i never gave them a second thought.

Most reactions

Back