Red Eagle Lake

andycurtis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I would like to know whether you prefer the horizontal or vertical crop:

red-eagle-lake.jpg

red-eagle-vertical.jpg

Please let me know what you think about these shots. Thanks in advance!

They are both uncropped from the original (I'd say these are both 95% of the original slides for each picture). I just shot two different takes on the lake when I was there. Sorry for the confusion.

Anything that could be improved in either?

the horizontal for sure...the perspective is much better..in that one u can feel the strangth of the nature but u also get a speical feeling because its the mirror look and the pure straight lines rnt very naturel..great pic my freind..
in the vertical the perspective isnt that good..u get the feeling that the rocks leed u in to the picture but they leed u into the silloute mountain and that by my opinion gives a feeling of a small area and not vast nature as ithink the pic should show..
last thing..ilike alot the line cloud on the water, for the dark pic as this u got it very clear in my opnion and thats great, for sure not easy if u had a long shutter spee while taking it- in the vertical one u kind of loose that..
anyway..the bottom line..ilike them alot..but ones better then the other..
cheers!!
gil.

ps.- what camera? whats film and in how? would love to now..thanks!

the horizontal for sure...the perspective is much better..in that one u can feel the strangth of the nature but u also get a speical feeling because its the mirror look and the pure straight lines rnt very naturel..great pic my freind..
in the vertical the perspective isnt that good..u get the feeling that the rocks leed u in to the picture but they leed u into the silloute mountain and that by my opinion gives a feeling of a small area and not vast nature as ithink the pic should show..
last thing..ilike alot the line cloud on the water, for the dark pic as this u got it very clear in my opnion and thats great, for sure not easy if u had a long shutter spee while taking it- in the vertical one u kind of loose that..
anyway..the bottom line..ilike them alot..but ones better then the other..
cheers!!
gil.

gilman said:

Thanks for the kind words. I made this picture at Glacier National Park in the middle of August. I used a Nikon N80 camera loaded with Velvia 100. The lens is the 18-35mm f3.5-4.5 Nikkor. I used a 2 stop graduated neutral density filter by Hitech to keep the sky from blowing out. That's why the sky rapidly shifts to light blue near the mountains... it's the ND filter.

I think I used something like f8 or f11 at 18mm so that the ND filter would be more effective, however this meant I had to use a really slow shutter speed. I think it was about 1/30 or 1/20 handheld. I couldn't bring a tripod with me, as this was a 10 day backpacking trip and I had about 20 pounds of food alone!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back