abraxas

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Red Rock Canyon, California State Park.
788-ds6399.jpg

As the subject of the shot isn't outright apparent, well;

Red Rock Canyon is the result of the grinding together of two geomorphic regions, the Mojave Desert and Great Basin. This uplifting takes place along the Garlock fault, which is what is known as a left lateral strike-slip fault. This means that the far side of the shot is moving to the left, and the part I'm standing on is moving to the right (slowly :) ). I believe the actual faultline is running somewhat through the middle of the shot.

The Garlock fault is the geologic dividing line between the Great Basin Desert, which extends from here north and east encompassing Nevada and western Utah. The Mojave Desert geo-range extends from here south and east to the Baja of California and east to the Colorado River. Botanically, I'm in the Mojave though, and the vegetation series extends north about 150 miles. However, immediately to the west is the Sierra Nevada range (southern).

The haze in the Cantil Valley beyond is the evaporate lifting from Koehn dry lake as it rained rain two days before. Somewhere in the area of the shot there are two caches of 1800s lost silver and gold. The silver was washed from a stagecoach that got caught in one of the canyons during a flash flood and was never found. Charlie Koehn's lost stash of gold nuggets and jewelry is presumed to be buried in the valley, or foothills. He went to prison for trying to bomb a judge that had ruled against him in a lawsuit. He died in jail, but not until after he had tried to tell his best friend where his gold was. His buddy never found it.

Beautiful shot. I imagine some people will come in and tell you to straighten the horizon and white line thingy in the background, but I have no problem with it.

Nice shot!

Beautiful shot. I imagine some people will come in and tell you to straighten the horizon and white line thingy in the background, but I have no problem with it.

Nice shot!

Thanks! Some people live in a flat world- :)

Yikes,... me too!

Fixed. Thanks again.

Thanks Beth, very much appreciated!

beautiful shot, like everything about it....reminds me of when I was shooting in outback Oz.

Thank you Roger. The shots I see look similar.

"His buddy never found it" I would say that I never found it too lol.

The story goes on and on. Apparently his friend wasn't too sharp, or secretive. Charlie sent him a map. The first day someone followed his friend; the next day, two people followed the guy that followed Charlie's friend. The next day, four more followed the two that followed the first gold-hunter that followed the friend. Soon, the whole town was following each other out to find Charlie's buried treasure. ... It took a big strike up in Randsburg (in the far mountains, on the left) to distract the town from tip-toeing from bush to bush behind each other.

Most reactions

Back