Red-tailed Hawk

strick

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The wife and I were out driving around looking for things to shoot and on the way home she saw him on the edge of the road. After turning around once or twice or maybe 3 times, he kept moving a little, I was able to get a few shots. I wish the background was a little better but I took what I could get.;)

Red-tailedHawk-1.jpg

Red-tailedHawk-2-1.jpg

Red-tailedHawk-4.jpg

Great captures. But I think a little bit of lightening and sharpening in photoshop can improve these photos further.

Here is a quick edit I tried:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.png

The Red-Tailed Hawk is one of my animal totems and my absolutely favorite Bird of Prey. This image is my wallpaper.

red-tail-moon-composite-2630s.jpg

Thanks for reminding me of how grand these birds are.

Very nice captures.
I agree with RKW3 about the processing.

Dani.

How cool. The second two are excellent, although the first one shows detail on the eye and a bit of the talons.

I was just sitting here working on a raptor information sheet and thinking about the eyes of a hawk (no kidding); Here's some info from the Snake River Birds of Prey National Conservation Area you might find interesting;

Eyes - Raptors have three eyelids! They have a top and bottom eyelid plus a third, transparent eyelid which closes laterally across the eye. This special eyelid is called a nictitating membrane and is used to

> keep the eyes moist,
> protect the eyes during flight, and
> protect the eyes when feeding themselves or their young.

When humans close their eyes to blink or sleep the upper eyelid closes. Depending on the species, raptors may close the top eyelid, the bottom eyelid, or both.

An additional form of eye protection in many raptors is a bony shield, called the superciliary ridge, that projects above the eye. This ridge acts like a visor for protection from the sun and also protects the eyes from injury while hunting. It also gives raptors a menacing appearance.

I especially liked the three eyelid thing.

Anyhow, great stuff and thanks for sharing. The hawks around here are totally 'skittish.'

Haha wow, I love #2.

I love those two edits by RKW3 and Kundalini even more. Great job all around.

Great captures. But I think a little bit of lightening and sharpening in photoshop can improve these photos further.

Yeah you may be right. I was thinking the same thing. Here is my retouch.

Red-tailedHawk-2-2.jpg

Most reactions

Back