Redeye query re Canon 500d

dreemer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
While not a DSLR novice altogether, I have purchased a Canon 500d, & seem to be having difficulty with the redeye.
I set it & leave it on, presuming it will be effective at all times, & most of the times it is.
But when I do some indoor shots, with varied light, the redeye doesn't seem to always work.
Scenario: theatre setting. Strong lights on stage area. I am shooting from the audience using auto. Redeye set.

So what can I do to avoid that awful redeye. Is it the camera? Should I not use auto? If not, why not.
This camera is great, picture resolution fantastic, but that redeye spoils it all.
Appreciate any assistance.

While not a DSLR novice altogether, I have purchased a Canon 500d, & seem to be having difficulty with the redeye.
I set it & leave it on, presuming it will be effective at all times, & most of the times it is.
But when I do some indoor shots, with varied light, the redeye doesn't seem to always work.
Scenario: theatre setting. Strong lights on stage area. I am shooting from the audience using auto. Redeye set.

So what can I do to avoid that awful redeye. Is it the camera? Should I not use auto? If not, why not.
This camera is great, picture resolution fantastic, but that redeye spoils it all.
Appreciate any assistance.
Redeye is the reflection of your flash on the retinea of the subject.

The only way to totally eliminate redeye is to significantly raise the flash above or to the side of the lens axis. This is one of the reasons for having a hot shoe mounted or off camera speedlight.

The pop-up flash on dSLR's is to close to the lens axis to consistantly avoid redeye.

red eye is so easily fixed in PP I really do not ever worry about it, nor do I ever use the red eye setting on my flash.

For the scenarios listed, I would recommend a nice speedlight with a bounce card diffuser.

p!nK

Most reactions

Back