Redneck modeling part 2 lol CC

luvmyfamily

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I only call this redneck modeling due the clothing, location. Now. Can we get to the issue at hand here? Got some great advice yesterday, I already know I needed flashfill, sharpness...maybe some ideas on posing? Your critique will help me for more modeling sessions I have coming up. THANK YOU! I am also busy today, so will be on and off checking, more than likely checking back this evening. Thank you for your help to improve these!

#2, was almost dark, used speedlite...someone asked me if I photoshopped the sky?? What???

#4 Was trying to go for that "jeans ad look" which explains the wife beaters....

#6 Still going for that jeans ad, know I needed flashfill....

Also, since I started shooting RAW, I don't seem to be getting the sharpness as jpeg?? I use DPP to convert RAW files.

luvmyfamily said:
Also, since I started shooting RAW, I don't seem to be getting the sharpness as jpeg?? I use DPP to convert RAW files.

Are you sharpening them?? Do you do all your editing in DPP??

luvmyfamily said:

I do sharpen them, but when i go to reduce luminace noise, it's like it takes it back to not being as sharp. I them upload then to PS for final touches. Like, you can't get rid of blemishes on DPP.

luvmyfamily said:

I do sharpen them, but when i go to reduce luminace noise, it's like it takes it back to not being as sharp. I them upload then to PS for final touches. Like, you can't get rid of blemishes on DPP.

Noise reduction and sharpening tend to be two sides of the same coin. Only sharpen what you want sharp and only reduce noise on what you want to reduce noise. If you want to do both to a portion at the same time, you probably need a really expensive program like Topaz or noise ninja, because really the same thing that sharpens increases noise and the same thing that decreases noise decreases sharpness.

also, somebody thought this girl was 12-14?! lol I mean I might​ have guessed 18.

Ok, you all critique away, thanks for the help. FLASH FILL my new best friend....check back later....

why are you using NR?

I use NR becuse it seems to cause noise, like I notice white spots in the hair. I took this one RAW of hubby and my son....it turned out sharper.

You typically don't want to sharpen hair anyway. I almost never do anything more than very​ light sharpening to the whole picture, and then I'll go in and selectively sharpen certain parts, like eyes. You definitely never want to sharpen the sky, as all it does is bring out noise.

why are you using NR?

I use NR becuse it seems to cause noise, like I notice white spots in the hair. I took this one RAW of hubby and my son....it turned out sharper.

You typically don't want to sharpen hair anyway. I almost never do anything more than very​ light sharpening to the whole picture, and then I'll go in and selectively sharpen certain parts, like eyes. You definitely never want to sharpen the sky, as all it does is bring out noise.

I just learned something new....I didn't know you had a choice of sharpening part of the image on DPP...

I just learned something new....I didn't know you had a choice of sharpening part of the image on DPP...

Exactly how you do it depends on the program. If you're using photoshop and use layer masks, you can literally make ANY adjustment selectively. I mostly use aperture for 'normal' type edits, and you can do most things with a brush in there. Basically everything but exposure and white balance can be applied selectively (and even those can be 'accomplished' with other tools)

Here's an edit I did of #1

I selectively sharpened the eyes, but then used skin smoothing on the rest of her face. (skin smoothing is sort of similar to blur and de-noise, except for it's tuned for skin tones, but it definitely reduces sharpness)

I also added a couple of curves adjustments as well.

7550458036_9a1c4caf28 by franklinrabon, on Flickr

here it is side by side with the original

Screen Shot 2012-07-11 at 1.15.08 PM by franklinrabon, on Flickr

luvmyfamily said:

I've never used DPP but the software that comes with Nikon cameras doesn't allow you to selectively sharpen. But you can do it in photoshop with layers and masks

Most reactions

Back