Redpolls with the new Nikon 200-500mm

Thanks so much Everyone for your comments !

Lovely shots. How are you finding this lens for IQ at the long end at normal birding distances? Been interested in it myself for a while now. Decent focal range and the VR is of particular interest to me.

Too early to say, I've literally only shot with this lens for a couple of hours from a blind, AKA, my living room through the patio door. I have a feeding station with natural branches set up and will likely not get into the field until spring. It's just too darn cold here and all the birds have fled south :)

Tentatively I think I can say I'm seeing a little more feather detail on my 80-400 with a crop compared to the longer reach of the 200-500.

The VR on both lenses is pretty impressive..

Cheers, Don

Thanks so much Everyone for your comments !

Lovely shots. How are you finding this lens for IQ at the long end at normal birding distances? Been interested in it myself for a while now. Decent focal range and the VR is of particular interest to me.

Too early to say, I've literally only shot with this lens for a couple of hours from a blind, AKA, my living room through the patio door. I have a feeding station with natural branches set up and will likely not get into the field until spring. It's just too darn cold here and all the birds have fled south :)

Tentatively I think I can say I'm seeing a little more feather detail on my 80-400 with a crop compared to the longer reach of the 200-500.

The VR on both lenses is pretty impressive..

Cheers, Don

Hopefully you'll get a few winter visitors, even if it's a grey squirrel foraging for some food. I caught the ruby throat hummingbirds in Winnipeg before they headed down south for the Winter. Just the females though. I never saw a male unfortunately. The temperatures definitely drops over there, so can understand not wanting to venture out in it. I braved -37C to go to a provincial park back in 2013. The grease in my 300mm f/4 caused the lens to almost cease up and the cold from the magnesium alloy body of the D800 radiated through my gloves quite noticably. Nothing came out to play either, so although it was a beautiful yet cold walkabout, I didn't get to shoot anything lol.

Most reactions

Back