Reducing noise on my new FZ-18

Ciaron

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So was trying out my new camera - Panasonic Lumix FZ18 at the weekend and I'm not as happy with the noise as I would like to be, even at ISO 100.

an example here

is there anything I can do to improve the quality?

I am a total beginner at this so any advice would be much appreciated!

So was trying out my new camera - Panasonic Lumix FZ18 at the weekend and I'm not as happy with the noise as I would like to be, even at ISO 100.

an example here

is there anything I can do to improve the quality?

I am a total beginner at this so any advice would be much appreciated!

Buy a Nikon!
Seriously, the issue is with the physical size of the sensor. A small sensor means small pixels. Small pixels are more conducive to electrical noise than large pixels. You need a true SLR and the two major players are Nikon and Canon. Your camera merely looks like an SLR.

Review on the FZ18:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/FZ18/FZ18A.HTM

Scroll about 2/3 down the page to Image Quality.

"The problem is the FZ18's image sensor, which exhibits chroma noise even at ISO 100. That tells me that they're doing a lot of noise processing even at this setting. It's been an ongoing problem with Panasonic point and shoots, and the chief reason more of them don't get the highest honors more often in our reviews"

Ok maybe I should have given a bit more background - I deliberately chose a superzoom/bridge because I didn't want to commit to the full price of a SLR and this gives me a cheaper option with a full option of lens, i.e. macro to tele.

I realise the problem with the small sensor - however most reviews conclude that the FZ18 is the better out of its bracket - i.e. between the 9600(9100) Fuji, the S8000fd Fuji and the Canon S5 IS. (plus its the only one to have RAW)

I also have seen plenty of image quality tests with the FZ18 is practically no visible noise at ISO100.

So, with a bit of background, do you guys have any suggestions on how I can reduce the noise I'm getting.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back