Reference for photo editing?

rachelrach11

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have used basic photo editing software in the past. I am pretty familiar with certain adjustments but I recently became very overwhelmed when I downloaded a trial version of photoshop elements.

What would be a good book or website that explains the basics of photo editing?

You can also open Elements and then press the F1 key on your keyboard, or click on the workspace Help​ tab, to access Adobe Community Help, which has yet more tutorials and other resources.

Are most of the photo editing programs generally the same when it comes to basic/intermediate adjustments? I know that a few of them provide more options for editing, but if I were to become familiar with one, how difficult would it be to use another?

I have never actually purchased any sort of editing software ( as you can tell) and I am just trying to figure out if they are generally the same or if certain programs are used for certain types of editing. For example, is elements COMPLETELY different from , let's say CS3?

UI's might be totally different, some elements may have different names, but the principles are the same across the board. Curves, contrast, saturation and the like will all be the same.

Elements is a consumer grade, de-featured, but otherwise very similar version of the professional grade CS, CS 2, CS 3, CS 4, CS 5, CS 6.

Elements 10 includes an image organizer, the raster graphics editing functions, and a Raw converter, parametric image editor (PIEware). The Raw converter, Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) is also de-featured compared to the version included with CS 6.

In other words, the professional grade CS has a lot more capability, and is thus more complex, than the consumer grade Elements does/is.

Adobe make 4 versions of Photoshop:

Photoshop Elements - 1 thru 10

Photoshop CS - CS (Photoshop 8) thru CS 6 (Photoshop 13)

Photoshop CS Extended - CS 3 thru CS 6

Photoshop Lightroom (a compliment to CS) - Lightroom thru Lightroom 4.

Last edited:
I have Photoshop CS5. I bought Photoshop for CS5 for Dummies. Along with trail and error, YouTube and the net I have learned a lot.

When I first started learning CS5 I got a little overwhelmed so I took a step back and just started trying to learn one tool at a time and then when I had it down and figured out i'd move on to the next tool. once I had the tools down I started looking into videos on how to certain things.

Most reactions

Back