Refurb or new

Phillip Lynn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am looking at a refurbished lens or a new one. Can anyone give me advice?

What make of lens, and what country are you in?

Here in the US, when I buy a new Nikon lens and register it online with Nikon, at no charge Nikon extends the warranty from 1 year to 5 years.
Nikon only warranties their refurbished lenses for 90 days.

However, I have long been more of a used lens buyer than a new or refurbished lens buyer, because I know it's actually pretty rare to have an issue with a new or refurbished lens during the time a warranty is in effect.

So I would suggest also considering used lenses.

I am looking at a refurbished lens or a new one. Can anyone give me advice?
What specific lens are you looking for? I have bought lenses on e-bay and Amazon, and have had good success. There are other places as well, that offer used or refurbished lenses. Adorama, B&H, KEH, and others.

The lens is a Nikon 70-300 mm on Amazon. The cost if 119.00 refurbished or 169.00 brand new. Not much of a savings I know.

I am looking at 70-300 mm nikon lens. I have a Nikon D7100 with the kit lens it came with. I am in the US. I am looking at Amazon , the price refurbished is 119.00 and the new price is 169.00. Not much difference in price.

I am looking at 70-300 mm nikon lens. I have a Nikon D7100 with the kit lens it came with. I am in the US. I am looking at Amazon , the price refurbished is 119.00 and the new price is 169.00. Not much difference in price.
Since there are, I think, 4 different 70-300 lenses, it might be important to know exactly which one. IMO, you should settle for no less than the VR G version.

This is the one:

https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-70-300mm-4-5-5-6G-Digital-Cameras/dp/B000HJPK2C

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The lens you're considering (the $169 new 70-300 f/4-5.6G lens) is one of the worst lenses, value wise, Nikon has ever made, even though it is an FX lens.

There's a reason the next one the AF-S 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 G ED (a DX lens) costs some $350 new. Indeed the 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 ED is one of Nikon's best values.
Look for a used 70-300 f/4.5-5.6G ED that is in good shape.

Thanks for the info, I am going to wait and buy new.

Thanks for the info, I am going to wait and buy new.
It might be tough to find a new one.

Meanwhile, there are many used ones on good condition.

And you'll get it cheaper.

I have purchased refurbished cameras / lenses / speedlights from: Nikon.com, B&H photovideo, Adorama.com, with no problems, or regrets.

If the savings over a brand new lens is important to you, and you're buying from a reputable source then it may be worth it to buy refurbished. Besides, I agree to what keen.observer says, those camera stores offer quality refurbished lenses. I once bought a refurbished lens also in Adorama. Had no issues.

Most reactions

Back