Rejected Again at a local art fair: suggestions & advice please

padrepaul77

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Tried to enter in these two pictures to a local art fair. Was hoping at least one would make the cut, but they didn't go for either one. They took about 40 pieces of art out of 180 submitted or so, so I don't know what I was up against and how much was painting and sculpture vs. photography.

These kinds of things are subjective, and personally, I like these pictures. I'm not a pro, just enjoy the hobby seriously and it would be nice to be able to sell images...but there are so many photographers out there.

Full time I'm a Catholic priest, so I'm not looking obviously for a second job. But I would like to get into local competitions, and sell some images...I won't lie, it would be nice to get a few extra dollars (how quickly I blew through cash buying gear :eek:) but it would just be fun to bring enjoyment to someone who bought the image to brighten up a room or office or something.

Here are the two I submitted. I really enjoy summer, and these are of the Minnesota State Fair. I thought they might get in and put people in a more summer kind of mood.

I tend to shoot a lot of outdoorsy kind of stuff; landscape; leaves; lakes; or street shots...maybe I'm just missing something?

I don't want to sound too depressed; it's only my second time trying to enter. I just want to take it to the next level so to speak. I've got my gear now...and I shoot things of interest to me, and try to catch things. Maybe I just need to give it more time. I'm also joining a local photo club.

Any thoughts on these shots would be appreciated. The darker one was shot using the "pinhole" effect on the camera. They might not have liked 'em, but I do. They aren't great, but they make me think of something I really like. Could they have been better though? What kinds of things should I be looking for that are more interesting to people?

Thanks,
Fr. Paul

Attachments

• $Midway.jpg
    $Midway.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 279
  • $Sunset over the Midway.jpg
    $Sunset over the Midway.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 287
I think they're both great shots, actually. The second shot is definitely stronger, though, in my opinion. I vote for just enjoying your great photos!

Tried to enter in these two pictures to a local art fair. Was hoping at least one would make the cut, but they didn't go for either one. They took about 40 pieces of art out of 180 submitted or so, so I don't know what I was up against and how much was painting and sculpture vs. photography.

These kinds of things are subjective, and personally, I like these pictures. I'm not a pro, just enjoy the hobby seriously and it would be nice to be able to sell images...but there are so many photographers out there.

Full time I'm a Catholic priest, so I'm not looking obviously for a second job. But I would like to get into local competitions, and sell some images...I won't lie, it would be nice to get a few extra dollars (how quickly I blew through cash buying gear :eek:) but it would just be fun to bring enjoyment to someone who bought the image to brighten up a room or office or something.

Here are the two I submitted. I really enjoy summer, and these are of the Minnesota State Fair. I thought they might get in and put people in a more summer kind of mood.

I tend to shoot a lot of outdoorsy kind of stuff; landscape; leaves; lakes; or street shots...maybe I'm just missing something?

I don't want to sound too depressed; it's only my second time trying to enter. I just want to take it to the next level so to speak. I've got my gear now...and I shoot things of interest to me, and try to catch things. Maybe I just need to give it more time. I'm also joining a local photo club.

Any thoughts on these shots would be appreciated. The darker one was shot using the "pinhole" effect on the camera. They might not have liked 'em, but I do. They aren't great, but they make me think of something I really like. Could they have been better though? What kinds of things should I be looking for that are more interesting to people?

Thanks,
Fr. Paul

I like them, but wouldn't consider it art. I see them as really good photographs taken during your time at the local fair. I believe a more abstract approach would yield a better chance of getting into an art show.

Don't let it get you down though. Those two photos are very nice. Just keep trying!

Best of luck.

I like the first image. It could have been better (IMO) if it was totally silhouetted.

Look at what sells at art fairs. Go to art galleries and see what they carry.
I could see the first image at an art fair, but not the second. You are shooting a subject that has a smaller audience of people really into amusement parks/carnivals.

hm. I like them, too. I like the second image much more. The first is fine. I thought the second was great. (better colors which makes it more interesting for me)

It's not like they are the best pics ever, but they're a lot better than average (again IMO).

Art fairs are tough. You have to find out what is selling in that area. It is very different from art gallery sales. I think your images are in between the art fair and the art gallery. Art fair work is something that anyone would like to put on their walls. Usually nice landscapes and the like. The art gallery stuff is completely different. It depends on where in the country you are and then when in the city the gallery is. Keep trying, you have an eye for light. Good job.

A little pp in #1 to get rid of that yellow haze. I really like #2 looks like some mechanical robot. This is the first step you should take, name them like mechanical robot instead of just midway, it sells too ;)

did you have the opportunity to see what was chosen? that might help, or it might not. Also, it is sometimes helpful to know who the judges are and what is there background. For instances i have been a judge several times for several large art festivals and have discovered i am one of the few who has any experience with photography.

knowing the judges gives one the opportunity to find out what are their preferences (we all have them). i.e a judge who favors street work is not going to find landscape very interesting. etc. etc. etc.

judging is not easy and in my experience (of judging) there are certain guides that are followed.

if this was an art festival then the guide lines are much different than say a local fair, judges are usually looking for the "wow' something different well done and professional presentation. (at least that is something i look for).

The photos are fine, however, as a collector of photography it is not something i would hang on my walls.

that is not to say you haven't done a nice job, you have taken a common subject and attempted to give it a different twist which is terrific.

keep working and practice, practice , practice

did you have the opportunity to see what was chosen? that might help, or it might not. Also, it is sometimes helpful to know who the judges are and what is there background. For instances i have been a judge several times for several large art festivals and have discovered i am one of the few who has any experience with photography.

knowing the judges gives one the opportunity to find out what are their preferences (we all have them). i.e a judge who favors street work is not going to find landscape very interesting. etc. etc. etc.

judging is not easy and in my experience (of judging) there are certain guides that are followed.

if this was an art festival then the guide lines are much different than say a local fair, judges are usually looking for the "wow' something different well done and professional presentation. (at least that is something i look for).

The photos are fine, however, as a collector of photography it is not something i would hang on my walls.

that is not to say you haven't done a nice job, you have taken a common subject and attempted to give it a different twist which is terrific.

keep working and practice, practice , practice

Thanks for the kind words. I continue to kind of get the hang of SLR photography, and it's just the second time I tried to enter a competition. It's interesting what did get into the State Fair arts building; the big prize in photo went to a series of shots of the phases of the moon. I thought it was interesting, but it didn't wow me. Another one was just a picture of two elderly guys talking at a table, smiling; agian good, but it didn't wow me...the one that did was a wide-angle shot of a balerina smoking a cigarette in the alley behind the theater, but it didn't win.

They took 40 pieces of art, probably just a few of which were photos, so I'll look and see what made it in. The two I've entered aren't photography-specific competitions, just juried arts exhibitions. My goal with photography is to get better and better, but also to sell some images too that people might enjoy. Every Minnesotan knows the State Fair well, so it's a common shot of the Midway I guess. I do try to find things that are a little unique or go for different angles...time will tell if I can actually sell these, or how unique a shot has to be to actually get into one of these exhibitions.

Thanks for the comments!
Paul

If you want art photography... I bet inside the church is a perfect subject.

hahaha :p

I can imagine a wedding in your church :p

"Oi you, The photographer, You need to put your aperture to about f9 and you ISO up to 400, let the camera choose your shutter, infact, get up here n take pics from up next to me!
You know what actually, I want to see the images afterwards"
haha :p

your images are a bit overblown in the skies to be honest, the white balance is off (but is good like that)
Also, maybe resizing your images will help a bit,
It just doesn't appeal to me in honesty
but for a local art fair... assuming it was a small county, i dont see why not.

hahaha :p

I can imagine a wedding in your church :p

"Oi you, The photographer, You need to put your aperture to about f9 and you ISO up to 400, let the camera choose your shutter, infact, get up here n take pics from up next to me!
You know what actually, I want to see the images afterwards"
haha :p

your images are a bit overblown in the skies to be honest, the white balance is off (but is good like that)
Also, maybe resizing your images will help a bit,
It just doesn't appeal to me in honesty
but for a local art fair... assuming it was a small county, i dont see why not.

Bahaha! That's funny. It's a good thing I am already married, or I would be the bride doing the same!

I think they are both quite nice. However, they are nothing I would want hanging on my walls. The subject doesn't really appeal to me. But those are definitely much better than what you have shown us previously.

I think that landscapes, leaves, lakes that you mention liking to shoot have a better chance of selling. In general. The photos that I've sold are not really any of those but I sell through gallery shows and that is quite a different world.

ann's advice to check out the entries that were accepted is very good. It will give you a better idea of the stuff they are looking for. Of course, if the judges change so can the selection.

But there are other ways to show and try to sell. Find a business willing to put up your photos. A lot of places are happy to get nice original art on their walls for free. But you will need a whole series of images and they need to all be topnotch. They also need to be nicely matted and framed which is not cheap if you can't do it yourself. You also need to have business cards (or some such thing) with your name and phone number that you can stick in each frame with the price.

Put the title and print number (1/20 for example. keep the total number of prints low as collectors would rather have a photo that is not going to be sold hundreds of times) as well as your signature on the mat. And be sure you have a couple extra photos ready at all times for replacing what you sell.

Hope this helps.

Submitting any work to judged competitions means, in my personal experience and that of many people that I know in person, getting accepted when your work is in the style the the judge likes and being rejected when it does not. I've discussed this concept with a number of artist friends (of the non-photography type ;) ) and they tell me that this is not at all uncommon in the art world in general, but especially so in smaller local venues.

Generally speaking, it takes someone who has a strong background in art to be able to judge with minimal bias, and small venues tend to try to get by on the cheap. don't get me wrong, I don't believe that anyone can be totally bias free, but we can be more, or less, biased in our judgments. The formula for getting your work accepted is (so I'm told) to watch the type of work being shown and awarded in any given contest as it comes around each year - you can often pick up on trends this way. Then, submit your work to those competitions that tend to prefer the type of work you are doing.

I have, over the last couple of decades, gone through cycles of wanting to participate in these types of things and, well, not wanting to do so for the reasons I've mentioned above. Obviously there are no blanket conditions - all competitions will be different in various ways - but in my experience (~20 years now) the above situation is not uncommon, especially in local competitions, camera clubs, and frankly much of what the PSA does.

Camera clubs can come with their own problems. Often there are people who regularly show their work, regularly win the competitions, and it can be difficult to break into this cycle as a new, and unknown, member. The same situations regarding preferred style may also apply, so if you do try a camera club you might want to try a couple (if you have more than one locally). Be prepared for a lot of equipment talk though. The few clubs that I've visited seem to have moved from photography in general to equipment specifically, especially these days with new equipment being produced weekly it would seem.

The important thing is don't take it personally. Once you find a venue that is receptive to the style of work you are producing you should be able to get your work in from time to time. It just takes a good deal of patience and a fair bit of coin - usually $15-$35 each attempt - but it can be done. And, also very important, don't try to change your own vision to suit what other people expect. I've seen a lot of the students where I work do this and they always get frustrated after a while and lose interest in photography...

- Randy

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back