Reliability of level horizon indicators compared to bubble levels

batmura

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Has anyone ever tested the reliability of the level horizon indicators built in their cameras? That's the one I mainly use. Sometimes I'll use the bubble level on my tripod but the in-camera indicator seems much easier on uneven surfaces when I'm on my tripod. That noted, I almost always find myself adjusting the horizon level in post production, which led me to consult the more experienced photographers here. Also, when I watch popular landscape hobbyists/professionals on YouTube, I see them dealing with crooked horizons in post as well, so my question is, is it basically inevitable to have the horizons perfectly level or is it due to trusting our cameras' indicators?

Thanks!

I found that, over time, I've been able to get close without indicators, and straightening in post is not a big deal. I just have to leave a little extra space, as I would for cropping.

I'm planning on doing a simple panorama in a bit, so I'll check them, just to see.

I found the horizon indicators to be pretty far off most of the time. Bubble levels on tripods are not always reliable either - not even from the better manufacturers. Maybe before you buy you should try with a bubble level to make sure you get a good copy.
The best is the bubble level on the hot shoe. However, as snowball stated, straightening in post isn´t a big deal.
One thing that sometimes also helps is adding a grid (either as a focussing screen, or nowadays into the display)

Unless I'm shooting panoramas I don't worry about being a little off and fixing it in post. For when it matters I added a 4 way level to the plate on the tripod head of one old aluminum tripod and use that for panos or shots going to someone else for processing.
Even in panos you can level the individual shots and then run the pano software.

The spirit level on my tripod (and I suspect many) is mounted to the leg assembly. If you have a ball head, the spirit level on the legs probably won't do a lot of good, except get you a good baseline.

I leveled the tripod using the bubble, then switched on the camera's horizon indicator.

The D750 indicator is a menu option and is not superimposed over the scene, that I can tell. It is a circle with index marks around the circumference, not unlike minute ticks on a clock face. In the circle is a dynamic polygon that shifts as the camera is tilted. Everything is level when the polygon changes to a green line. The camera wasn't far off to begin with, but I leveled it using the onboard indicator, however it shifted as I rotated the head from left to right (I was going to take a set for a panorama). I guess I didn't get the bubble centered exactly. The camera's indicator did shift but it wasn't that far off for me to really worry about it.

The spirit level on my tripod (and I suspect many) is mounted to the leg assembly. If you have a ball head, the spirit level on the legs probably won't do a lot of good, except get you a good baseline.

I leveled the tripod using the bubble, then switched on the camera's horizon indicator.

The D750 indicator is a menu option and is not superimposed over the scene, that I can tell. It is a circle with index marks around the circumference, not unlike minute ticks on a clock face. In the circle is a dynamic polygon that shifts as the camera is tilted. Everything is level when the polygon changes to a green line. The camera wasn't far off to begin with, but I leveled it using the onboard indicator, however it shifted as I rotated the head from left to right (I was going to take a set for a panorama). I guess I didn't get the bubble centered exactly. The camera's indicator did shift but it wasn't that far off for me to really worry about it.

Maybe the level isn´t built in as it should have been. I had that problem on two quality tripods.
In regard to the green line: I use a manfrotto 405 gearhead. And it is surprising how much I can tilt the gears from left to right before the green line starts changing its colour.

Maybe the level isn´t built in as it should have been. I had that problem on two quality tripods.
In regard to the green line: I use a manfrotto 405 gearhead. And it is surprising how much I can tilt the gears from left to right before the green line starts changing its colour.
Possible, but it was probably more my perspective - I wasn't looking at it straight down (orthometrically).

Most reactions

Back