Reliable UK photography equipment shops.

Hello,

Have you tried Robert White?

http://www.robertwhite.co.uk

(NB All prices exclude VAT)

They are in Poole, so you are looking at mail/net order. But they offer an excellent service and really know their onions.

Regards

Fuddy

I had a quick look at Robert White's website.
Comapring the price of the 1Ds MKII is quite amazing.
Robert White is £4300 ex VAT (£5052 inc VAT) while Jessops is "only" £4678 inc VAT.
The 5D body at RW is £1790 ex VAT (£2103 inc VAT) while Jessops is £1910 inc VAT.
Robert White strikes me as an expensive place to shop.

darich said:
Robert White is £4300 ex VAT (£5052 inc VAT) while Jessops is "only" £4678 inc VAT.
The 5D body at RW is £1790 ex VAT (£2103 inc VAT) while Jessops is £1910 inc VAT.

Yes, comparing two prices is very instructive. They have plenty of products which are priced competitively, and the people there are not recovering from a frontal labotomy.

Fuddy

darich said:

The fact that RW quotes all of their prices ex-VAT tells you that export is important for them, so maybe they don't see the need to compete with Jessops. Having said that, they are extremely professional (not a word that you would associate with Jessops), knowledgeable and very fast. The difference still seems like a lot to pay for good service though.

Ffordes are very good. When I got rid of my digital kit recently and moved on to film I bought some Voigtlander gear from them, and they were very efficient. Another recommendation is Mifsuds, from whom I bought a Nikon Coolscan V film scanner with the proceeds from selling my dSLR. Excellent price, called them on the Tuesday late morning to order, and the scanner arrived a little under 24 hours later. Can't fault them on anything.

The dSLR came from Park Cameras. I went to the shop in Haywards Heath, where my impression was of a better class of assistant than you find in Jessops. I'd phoned first and that was a good experience too.

I'd treat Jessops as a last resort for film in an emergency (and even then if you ask for 120 you'll probably get a blank stare), or for equipment that I had researched already and where I knew exactly what I wanted, because my experience of their shop assistants over the last few years has been pretty unhappy. Last time I went in there, all I wanted was a microfibre cleaning cloth, a Pentax one. The shop manager wasn't sure what I meant, tried to sell me a Jessops own brand alternative (not microfibre) and I had to insist that she looked through the drawers behind the counter, where she eventually found what I wanted. Painful.

Thom

In my Jessops there's one guy who pounces everytime he catches anyone looking at the secondhand gear, which is ridiculously overpriced. Despite my assuring him I do not have £240 for a 24mm lens he insists on trying to lure me with 20% off deals. catching me looking at a Contax RTS2 body, at a mere £700, he tries to get me signed up for finance. This despite my repeatedly telling him I'm a mature student, i.e. skint! Trouble is our only other option is a branch of LCE, which are run under franchise, who only stock Konica film and are no better than Jessops:grumpy:

I'm not saying Jessops are the best...far from it. I was merely comparing the price of 2 cameras. I didn't look at the price of anything else.

As for RW exporting a lot, where would he export to? Everywhere else seems cheaper than the UK!! I'm a bit of a cynic and unless it's a trade or wholesale outlet i always think that excluding VAT is a way to entice you in and sometimes sucker you into buying something you think is cheaper when it's actually not.

I have no way of questioning the professionalism of the shop because I've never used it. I 'd agree up to a point about Jessops and the staff not being the most knowledgeable but my local Jessops isn't too bad at all.

I find the best way to buy anything is to do my own research, find the cheapest seller then go there and it's not the first time I've been in a shop like PC World or a mobile phone shop etc and known more about the product and the deals than the bloke trying to sell it!!!

There is a lot to be said about having a local friendly knowledgeable retailer for whatever product you're buying and sometimes I'll use them even when they're not the cheapest if i trust them and like the service. It's also easier to go back and return faulty goods!

http://www.apertureuk.com

run by 2 or 3 guys. LOTS and i meant LOTS of used stock. the website is updated pretty much daily. You get 6 months warranty on used stock and will post to anywhere in the uk for £5-10.

They give really good advice too. The shop itself is pretty cool, has an internet cafe on the back of it.

Lol999 said:
In my Jessops there's one guy who pounces everytime he catches anyone looking at the secondhand gear

That happens in mine as well! Perhaps it a national slimey sales man agreement that they have to sign when they join Jessops.

I cant personally vouch for this but ive heard good things about harrison cameras:

http://www.harrisoncameras.co.uk/

I'd personally reccomend (depending on how many there are in your area) going to a local one man band. Usually if theyre reputable and you can usually tell by presentation, they know everything about everything.

Helpful but not too pushy and a good range of new and used. If theyve been there a while, they must be doing something right because they rely on return business and word of mouth.

I'm guessing that York will have a similar amount as Manchester.

Lol999 said:
the secondhand gear, which is ridiculously overpriced.

Now I have had the opposite .. I bought my son a Canon EOS 500 QD and it only cost £40. Also the lenes I have bought have all been great and never had a problem with them and they were great in price.

Croydon North End Jessops ... best one I have been in.

***** (five stars that is)

I guess my Jessops, Chesterfrield, is run by plonkers. I don't think they know THAT much about the secondf hand gear. Theyr'e selling a Nikon fit Kiron zoom ( one of the TOP Japanese manufacturers, made the best of the Vivitar Series 1 lenses) for £15!! My philosophy is grab a bargain where it's to be had, foster good relations where possible, but don't let them exploit you financially as part of that relationship.

Lol

Most reactions

Back