Remembered in Stone

KelSS90

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
We got our first snow of the season last night, giving me my first opportunity to try shooting in it. There is this little cemetery near my home from the Revolutionary War and surrounding time -- I meant to go in the fall when the trees had changed, and was disappointed I never got around to it. Kind of glad I waited :) I was super concerned about the white balance, which seems okay to me, but I think I misjudged my settings for light metering. I was spot metering... I think I should have been in "matrix" to gather from the whole scene, so that the whites weren't so overblown? Any C&C would be appreciated, as I have lots of room to improve!

( 1) $DSC_0144.jpg
(2) $DSC_0129-2.jpg
(3) $DSC_0148.jpg
(4) $DSC_0151.jpg

Edit: Looking again, maybe a little on the warm/yellow end of the spectrum? (Viewed on two different monitors and appear quite differently).

Last edited:
I like them, starting to snow good over here so hopefully i will be able to get some shots before it turns to slush.

Luckily the pretty aspect stuck around until about noon here. Then it warmed up and my world is filled with slush. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any thoughts on the white balance? They seem okay on the computer I edit on, but not on our second computer. I'm a little concerned all of my pictures have had a yellow tint and I just haven't noticed because of poor calibration!

Not bad, #1 and #4 seem to have a little bit of a yellowish tinge to them (maybe an artefact of compression for the web), but when I enlarge them, they all look a little dark/underexposed to me and I am on a recently calibrated monitor. #3 is my favourite.

WesternGuy

Thanks for the reply! Three was my favorite too, I loved the single pine tree with the lone headstone beneath it.

I brought up the exposure some on these so that they are better exposed... but the whites are blown even more so now. Any suggestions for next time? I assume the fact that I was spot metering was at least part of the issue, but any tips for shooting in snow?

$DSC_0129-2.jpg$DSC_0144.jpg$DSC_0151.jpg$DSC_0148.jpg

Most reactions

Back