Remembrance Day Flypast

AIRIC

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.airic.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Today I was able to fly in a Remembrance Day flypast over Toronto with the Canadian Harvard Aircraft Association for a missing man formation over Toronto’s City Hall and Sunnybrook Veteran’s Hospital.

It was a moving experience and after just loosing a friend who was a WWII veteran it made the flight that much more important.

rem200711116879.jpg

A sunny arrival over Toronto but clouds would ruin the lighting for the flight

rem200711116946.jpg

Ready to roll down Toronto City Centre’s Runway 08

rem200711116952.jpg

rem200711116985.jpg

Echelon left

rem200711117019.jpg

Turning into the City for the run into centre stage

rem200711117045.jpg

With smoke on Harvard 3 pulls up and out to perform a missing man formation

rem200711117078.jpg

Harvard 3 back into the slot position for a few passes over Sunnybrook Veteran’s Hospital

rem200711117112.jpg

Smoke on

rem200711117129.jpg

rem200711117164.jpg

More photos from the flight http://www.airic.ca/html/rem2007.html

A tribute to my friend who recently passed away. The last time I flew this flight was with him back in 2003
http://www.airic.ca/html/stanmiller.html

Remember our past

Eric

Wooooooot!!!! Awesome shots, Airic! All the more so given how overcast it was. In the first set, I especially like the first one (with the skyline), and the fourth one (with the 3 other planes offset). Wow, from some of them, you can see how close to the ground you got! (And I saw your formation from the ground as you did the flypast over City Hall). In the second set, I'm loving the skyline shots, and the trains. I think it's just soooo cool that you got to be in the flypast!!!

this is very nice work. How in the world did you manage to get such a deep DOF? A few of those the background looks to be a mile away from the plane. Great stuff!

Wooooooot!!!! Awesome shots, Airic! All the more so given how overcast it was. In the first set, I especially like the first one (with the skyline), and the fourth one (with the 3 other planes offset). Wow, from some of them, you can see how close to the ground you got! (And I saw your formation from the ground as you did the flypast over City Hall). In the second set, I'm loving the skyline shots, and the trains. I think it's just soooo cool that you got to be in the flypast!!!

Thanks Jeanne. At Sunnybrook we were able to fly lower then over the city. It sure is a blast being low over a built up area but scary at the same time as there is no place to land if you have a problem. I keep an eye out for potential landing spots as the pilot can only look at his wingman and sees very little of anything else.

Eric

I want to know who was doing the steering whilst you were taking pictures....

The pilot :) If you look at the other aircraft there is a pilot in the front and back of the aircraft. The Harvard is a trainer and has controls for both of the positions.

rem200711117164.jpg

For photography I slide the rear canopy forward so I don’t have to shoot through the glass. Lots of noise and wind but in the Harvard there is a few sweet spots where you can get out of the wind and drop the shutter speed.

Eric

The pilot :)

Eric

That's good. I had visions of you with the stick jammed between your knees or something whilst you were leaning out of the window.

I'm still trying to work out which of the buildings on the lake front is the Raddisson. My wife and I stayed there about 3 years back and it has some very pleasant memories for me.

Chris - The Radisson-Admiral is south of the Skydome (now called the Rogers' Centre), so in the first pic look for the green-roofed building on the far left of the picture, on the waterfront. That's the marine police, and behind that (on the street side) is the Radisson-Admiral (so from this angle, it looks 'to the right' of the marine police building). It's only 3 or 4 stories high, so it's hard to see unless you know where to look. A closer shot is the fourth one in Airic's second series. It's a nice spot (and right next door to it is the kayak rental place).

That was the one I picked out eventually, it looks rather small here. Things seem so much larger in the memory - like childhood Mars bars

Most reactions

Back