Remote control features

badrano

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm looking to get a remote for my D7000 and I see lots of choices from wired, wireless (RF, IR, etc). I also see some very basic ones to ones where you can adjust other settings like shutter, aperture, multi-exposure, etc. I'm thinking of getting a wireless RF one because of the longer operational range.

I can definitely understand the need to control shutter and aperture and not have to keep walking up to the camera, but how useful is it to have the ability to control settings like multi-exposure, interval settings, etc from afar?

Is it worth spending the extra $$?

Remotes aren't what you're looking for. You need to tether the camera to a laptop or smart device.

Remotes aren't what you're looking for. You need to tether the camera to a laptop or smart device.

Sparky, could you elaborate a little more. What advantages does the computer/smart phone have over a remote that can do more than shutter/aperture settings?

Sparky, could you elaborate a little more. What advantages does the computer/smart phone have over a remote that can do more than shutter/aperture settings?

You need a computer to 'take over' all the controls in the camera since the camera itself is a computer. A 'remote' usually just triggers the shutter. Tethering, however, allows you to adjust the ISO, shutter speed, aperture, focus point, white balance, image format, image size, activate LiveView, download & review the result......

You need a computer to 'take over' all the controls in the camera since the camera itself is a computer. A 'remote' usually just triggers the shutter. Tethering, however, allows you to adjust the ISO, shutter speed, aperture, focus point, white balance, image format, image size, activate LiveView, download & review the result......

As the little light bulb turns on in my head...not sure why I said remote controls can control shutter and aperture....The only remote control I see that comes any where near that is the Nikon one for $500+. I see what you're saying now. The one remote I was looking at that can do interval shooting...the remote itself is doing the interval shooting...it's not configuring the camera in to Interval mode.

I guess it's not worth the $$ to have a remote that can do some things when you'll have to go up to the camera anyways to set all the more critical settings like ISO, WB, etc.

Thanks for the explanation.

............I guess it's not worth the $$ to have a remote that can do some things when you'll have to go up to the camera anyways to set all the more critical settings like ISO, WB, etc.

Thanks for the explanation.

If you have a smart device or laptop, you only need a USB cable or a wireless system, depending on your device and camera. You may already have the bulk of your spending done.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back