Remote flash not triggering

meestursparkle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Sorry if my terminology is all wrong but I figured I would see if any of you folks have an easy solution for this.

I have a wireless trigger for my lights....but if the camera is facing down I guess it loses contact with the hot shoe and it won't transmit the signal...sometime it will but mostly it won't...it I hold the transmitter down it will always work but I don't always have a free hand to do that...pretty frustrating sometimes. Once I broke off the blade of a utility knife in the gap and it worked great for a while..until it fell out.

Anyone know and easy way to fix this? I am happy with my camera (Nikon D40X) and and everything except for this.

Welcome to the forum.

Can you be more specific as to what triggers you are using and how you are connecting them to the camera and to the flash etc.

I am not failiar with D40 but I would think it has mutiple contact points on the shoe. Even if you are using a single point trigger without ETTL I would be little concerned about shorting the contacts on the camera. You can try placing some tape on the top side of the trigger mount rails to hold it more tightly to the contact points.

Aslo is this a "radio", or "IR" trigger?

Wish I'd done this months ago..

It is an alien bees radio trigger single point contact....I have tried tape before but it just seems to get forced off when I put the trigger back on the camera. I might try it again though...looking for another solution.

Can you try it with a different camera...just to see if it's a problem with the camera or the unit itself? It sounds like it might be a connection problem which could be a loose wire/connection or something off with the hot-shoe connection.

If the problem persists with another camera, contact Alienbee. Their customer service is great.

Another option would be to use a different method of connection to the camera. Your D40 doesn't have a PC socket, but you could get an adapter to sit in the hotshoe, then use a short cord to connect it to the sending unit.

I think I tried it with my brothers camera a while back and it seemed fine at first then it started again.

It did work great after I broke of the utility blade in the shoe...I think I just need to increase the contact...just not sure how.

Has the contact come out of position inside the unit...as in it's still in the right place, just not sticking out far enough? Maybe open it up and have a look around.

Has the contact come out of position inside the unit...as in it's still in the right place, just not sticking out far enough? Maybe open it up and have a look around.

If that is the case (and it sounds like it could be) you might try using a soldering iron, and putting a very thin layer of solder on the contact point. I would probably do this on the trigger assembly unless your camera cost less. This is not a permenant fix but it should last awhile.

Here is a thought:

- you can try adding a small layer of JB Weld to the TOP side of the trigger hot shoe, it doesn't matter if it is a little too thick.

- Let it dry over night

- Use a file or sand paper to sand it down to a thin even layer. This then makes the contact more secure as it presses down the trigger a little more into the camera's hot shoe.

- If it is too tight, sand some more, until you can tightly secure the trigger into the hot show and it works at no matter what angle you place the trigger.

Here is a thought:

- you can try adding a small layer of JB Weld to the TOP side of the trigger hot shoe, it doesn't matter if it is a little too thick.

- Let it dry over night

- Use a file or sand paper to sand it down to a thin even layer. This then makes the contact more secure as it presses down the trigger a little more into the camera's hot shoe.

- If it is too tight, sand some more, until you can tightly secure the trigger into the hot show and it works at no matter what angle you place the trigger.

Thanks

In case anyone cares...I stuck a push pin into the hotseat upper right hand corner (if you are looking at at the camera from the back)...forces the remotes connector dealie down and the connections together...works great...except every now and then it falls out and I'll step on the pin in bare feet...ouch.
Thanks for the input.

Most reactions

Back