Remote Flash Triggers/Flash Suggestions: Nikon

pros and cons to both.

A flash with remote functions eliminates the logistical hassle of a separate remote.
But if the built in remote fails, does it kill the flash also? If it does not kill the flash, to use the flash in a remote setup would require a separate remote. IOW, how reliable is the built in remote?

A separate remote is another item, but if it fails, it does not affect the flash, you just replace the remote.
This was the situation many years ago when Chinese remotes were being popularized with the Strobist movement. Those remotes were NOT 100% reliable. But compared to a PW, they were cheap enough that if/when they failed, you threw it away and used your spare.

No I saw it.

I'll never go back to simple triggers or ones not built into the flash unit. They are such a pita comparatively and much less to deal with, lose, or fail.

It depends on the application. Again, not all cameras are capable of wirelessly firing a remote flash. The simple trigger is universal it doesn't care. In studio I use a PB Cyber Commander capable of full control of power to multiple lighting groups, memorized setups, even has a built in light meter, but it's also about 3-4 times his budget. Sometimes you just don't need that much.

You’ve all been very helpful and i greatly appreciate the info and opinions you’ve all provided.

I’m going to check out the GODOX/Flaspoint option. It seems reasonably priced and a better build than a lot of cheaper options but also not so high quality that I’m spending my entire paycheck on a couple of lights with triggers.

Thanks for steering me away from Yongnuo. I’m sure they’re decent enough but I’ve always been open to better options within my budget.
We all want the best bang for our buck.

It depends on the application. Again, not all cameras are capable of wirelessly firing a remote flash.

he has a D610 and I believe doesn't already own flashes.

Sometimes you just don't need that much.

That's why I was trying to steer the OP into a modern setup that's not very expensive.

I'm just through my experience through my journey into flash photography;'I have about 9-10 various triggers/cables leftover from that I no longer use from manual simple triggers from when I first started, to triggers/controllers that let me set power from the controller.

Now I simply have one controller and never have to worry about batteries and extra triggers again -- for any of my flashes. But no built in light meter yet on my system :p It's still a bit of a hassle on the R2 system.

@Braineack I missed the camera brand. The direction you steered him in is good. Like I said I still use these little cheap triggers when I'm out. They're small enough to drop in your pocket, paid for themselves many times over. For studio the Bee's don't play nice with other controllers, but the Cyber Commander is great. The receivers are a/c powered.

Adorama is offer a “free gift” of the trigger with that version of the R2 right now. Great deal if anyone is looking to dive in.

lol it let me put 3 flashes in the cart AND select (3) remotes.

but that is a good way to get (3) of the flashes and a controller.

I went ahead and ordered 2 myself.
I told myself I wouldn't order from Adorama again after what happened with camera debacle but a good deal is a good deal.

I picked one up this morning with transmitter for $58.50. Either their margins are crazy, or they are trying to get rid of them for some reason.

Probably have a lot of stock of the non-pro controllers, especially since the pro markii recently released. Pretty sure the price of the flash unit itself has always been ~$65.

Probably have a lot of stock of the non-pro controllers, especially since the pro markii recently released. Pretty sure the price of the flash unit itself has always been ~$65.

Good deal. TTL sucks when you start using modifiers anyways. If I'm going to adjust EC, I can adjust the flash power, haha. I don't mind the controller, FWIW. It's obviously not as slick as the pro controller, but it's not terrible to use either. Then again...I'm a light (hah!) user, and wouldn't ever have more than 2-3 speedlights going at a time.

I own one of the R2 TTL Zoom flashes, for my on-camera flash; I own (3) Manual Zooms for anything else i may need them for.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back