Remote Flash Triggers/Flash Suggestions: Nikon

ryanrichmond

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am in the market for some flashes that I can pop remotely.
I would also like some suggestions on remote triggers. Maybe a package deal?

I want to remotely control up to 4 flashes (probably more like 2 but the option for up to 4 would be cool)
I don't care if I have to set power levels manually. It's not a big deal to me to press a button on the flash.

I'm not entirely sure of a budget but let's say $200 for everything. I already have stands and shoot-through umbrellas

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
It is unlikely to do it in your budget. Check out the Godox/Flashpoint systems they are likely your best bet.

The controller for up to 5 groups of lights is about $70.

After that battery powered, manual speed lights start about $60 and the price goes up to about $1000 for TTL/HHS LION 600w strobe.

This is just over 2x your listed budget, however it gets you a solid start and are items that you will continue to use as you grow, https://www.adorama.com/fplfsmzl2ca3.html?origterm=flashpoint+2x+zoom+lion+kit&searchredirect=true

Last edited:
I am in the market for some flashes that I can pop remotely.
I would also like some suggestions on remote triggers. Maybe a package deal?

I want to remotely control up to 4 flashes (probably more like 2 but the option for up to 4 would be cool)
I don't care if I have to set power levels manually. It's not a big deal to me to press a button on the flash.

I'm not entirely sure of a budget but let's say $200 for everything. I already have stands and shoot-through umbrellas

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Four flashes and a control system for all four flashes for $200 or less? Seems optimistic.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
IMHO, the only way you can meet your $200 budget is to buy used and shop well.
These will be older shoe flashes, not current TTL flashes. Power would be set by a dial or lever, not a button. There isn't a computer inside the flash. Zoom is manual or non-existant.
Ideally you want matching flashes, so the controls are identical.
Batteries and charger(s) are separate, and could easily add up to another $100, especially if you get a GOOD 8 cell charger.

Depends on what you want to do. If you just want to fire multiple speed lights you can pickup a wireless trigger and 4 receivers on eBay Neewer Wireless FM Flash Speedlite Trigger Set ( 1 Transmitter & 4 Receivers) 808023465475 | eBay they work great. If you want to add remote control of the flash, you'll easily spend more then your budget.

ew so much stuff to lose/break/fail/tinker with.

so many decent flashes on the market with built in radio ttl triggers... that you can fully control from the camera.

I highly recommend looking into the GODOX/Flashpoint stuffs.

Zoom R2 manual flashes are $65 each. the PRO trigger is $70.

for the $200 budget, you could get two flashes and the trigger...

Last edited:
What’s your opinion on the Yongnuo YN560 IV/ trigger package for $185

(2) YN560IV’s and a YN560TX transmitter

The best part of the godox/flashpoint stuff is that their studio lights are on the same radio system. I can control my three strobes and 4 Speedlites, individually, from the same controller.

The new pro2 controller has Bluetooth which has made it nice to adjust power from wherever I want. (Helpful when metering). -- and they are supposed to update the firmware for camera controls as well...

Youngnou had fallen behind the curve imho.

What’s your opinion on the Yongnuo YN560 IV/ trigger package for $185

(2) YN560IV’s and a YN560TX transmitter

I’ve had both. I agree that the Flashpoint system makes more sense.

I have a Nikon Flashpoint R2 and trigger I don’t need. I’d give you a good deal on them if you wanted to get a system started...send me a message if you’re interested.

so many decent flashes on the market with built in radio ttl triggers... that you can fully control from the camera.

The OP didn't specify camera or speedlights currently owned, nor did he express an interest in remotely setting the lights or other wise controlling. He wanted something to fire the flash. The triggers I sent the link to work with any camera with a hot shoe or pc connection, they work with any speedlight or Monolight, they're easy to set up (match the dip switches), and are tough. Some cameras will not fire an external flash, especially those without an onboard popup. Also TTL can get complicated, fussy and expensive if you have to match a specific speedlight to work with your camera. I keep a set in my travel bag to work speedlights off camera when I'm out and don't want a lot of weight (3 yrs and still going strong).

This article provides a pretty good explanation of why Godox is the front runner when it comes to cheap flashes these days. For the record, I use a couple of $65 Godox speed lights with the $70 wireless trigger. Same product sold as Flashpoint through Adorama.
Why Godox is succeeding where Yongnuo failed - DIY Photography

The OP didn't specify camera or speedlights currently owned, nor did he express an interest in remotely setting the lights or other wise controlling. He wanted something to fire the flash. The triggers I sent the link to work with any camera with a hot shoe or pc connection, they work with any speedlight or Monolight, they're easy to set up (match the dip switches), and are tough. Some cameras will not fire an external flash, especially those without an onboard popup. Also TTL can get complicated, fussy and expensive if you have to match a specific speedlight to work with your camera. I keep a set in my travel bag to work speedlights off camera when I'm out and don't want a lot of weight (3 yrs and still going strong).

But you can't even control the flash power, and need an extra pair batteries for each.

Hard pass.

But you can't even control the flash power, and need an extra pair batteries for each.

Hard pass.

Guess you missed this in the OP "I don't care if I have to set power levels manually. It's not a big deal to me to press a button on the flash"

No I saw it.

I'll never go back to simple triggers or ones not built into the flash unit. They are such a pita comparatively and much less to deal with, lose, or fail.

Most reactions

Back