Removing object from this photo

NickChurch

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
2015-01-23-0016sm.jpg
Hi,

I have taken this shot of a local park in Bristol, UK. I am really pleased with the composition and the treatment I managed to get. I wondered on what your views was on the big, fat litter (trash) bin on the right third. Do you think it is worth trying to remove it? I have Lightroom and that is not able to do a good enough job (limited to v4). I also have Photoshop Elements which can do a better job but, there is still damage to the image if you know where to look.

Anyway, thoughts and suggestions very much appreciated. Perhaps I should just leave it?

Being a decorative container, I think it actually fits nicely in the scene with the taller lamp pole

You may be right - thanks for sharing your view.

Can we see it with it removed? Do you have an attempt? I think it would be better without.

I think the trash can takes away from the surreal nature of the photo. Removing it would be an improvement I think.
I might argue that the statue does similarly, but there would be some negative effects from removing it that would change the balance of the composition.

2015-01-23-0016-Editsm.jpg
Here is my attempt from Elements....

Attachments

• 2015-01-23-0016-Editsm.jpg
    419.7 KB · Views: 157
I think it looks better without

Any tips on how to do a better job of removing it?

I have no PS skills. Just started learning PSE myself.

I always think long about removing objects from a scene and in this example I dont mind the bin. Your effort at removing is actually not bad. The shadow of the bin is still visible but only because we can see the first pic.
I dont have time now but I will have a go at removing the bin when I get home from work.

I don't mind the bin that much myself, the streaks in the sky bother me more...

I think it's better without. You've removed it in the correct way, you just need to spend a bit more time removing the shadow of the bin and rebuilding the scene behind where the bin was. Removing stuff can be a long-haul job if it is covering detail, but worth it if you want it to look real.

For some great Photoshop tips, I highly recommend subscribing to Aaron Nace's YouTube channel, Phlearn. I spend days watching his videos (which are also very entertaining) and I always pick up new techniques and easier ways to do stuff I thought I already knew how to do!

Phlearn.com

Hi - Thanks so much for all the pointers. I have decided to get rid of the bin, but also the streaks in the sky. I have just the hardest bit of the bin left, so I thought I'd post a work in progress

BTW - I considered going back to the scene, moving the bloody bin and re-taking; would have been less effort!! :)

Job done!
Untitled-2.jpg

Most reactions

Back