Removing sun glare from photograph

acather96

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello semi-magic Photoshop demigods! I'd be extremely grateful if one of you good people could try and remove some sun glare from a photograph of mine? I have no clue, but it's all for a good cause: entertaining some very bored medical volunteers in the UK! Thanks :)

Last edited:
There's no glare; the photo was overexposed for the direct sun on the left side of his face and your cell phone exposed for the entire scene.

If this was shot in RAW you probably could have recovered some of the information.

There's no glare; the photo was overexposed for the direct sun on the left side of his face and your cell phone exposed for the entire scene.

If this was shot in RAW you probably could have recovered some of the information.

Unfortunately that's all white noise to me: is there a way to remove the overexposure?

not really. that area is void of any information: it's white noise ;)

Unfortunately that's all white noise to me: is there a way to remove the overexposure?

What he's saying is that the camera took in too much light, and you will not be able to recover the details of his face that were lost.

No.

In technical terms - all 3 of the color channels (red, green. blue) a digital photo is made of have been clipped (overexposed or often called blown out) and all 3 channels have the maximum attainable value of 255 which is pure white (red channel = 255, green channel = 255, blue = 255).

With a Raw file (16-bit color depth) if 1 RGB channel is at less than 255 a small amount of detail can be recovered.
If the Raw file if 2 RGB channels are at less than 255 a bit more image detail could be recovered.
However, if those channel are at close to the max of 255 the amount of recoverable image information is minuscule.

Unfortunately JPEG image files are 8-bit color depth files and often have little or no editing latitude even if ther are no exposure issues in the photo.

No.

In technical terms - all 3 of the color channels (red, green. blue) a digital photo is made of have been clipped (overexposed or often called blown out) and all 3 channels have the maximum attainable value of 255 which is pure white (red channel = 255, green channel = 255, blue = 255).

With a Raw file (16-bit color depth) if 1 RGB channel is at less than 255 a small amount of detail can be recovered.
If the Raw file if 2 RGB channels are at less than 255 a bit more image detail could be recovered.
However, if those channel are at close to the max of 255 the amount of recoverable image information is minuscule.

Unfortunately JPEG image files are 8-bit color depth files and often have little or no editing latitude even if ther are no exposure issues in the photo.

Ah I see now - thank you for your clear explanation. :)

Its worth bearing in mind also that compact camera chips are only good for jpg use, aps-c sensors can do 12-bit while you need full frame for deeper colour capture.

Its worth bearing in mind also that compact camera chips are only good for jpg use, aps-c sensors can do 12-bit while you need full frame for deeper colour capture.

Funny how my compact records 14-bit raw files.

And FWIW, all camera sensors produce raw files. Every DSLR, compact, bridge, P&S and even cell phones..... every image they take starts out as a raw file.

Most reactions

Back