renting a lese, which one??

jwsciontc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So my brother's marching band championship event is this weekend, and i want to take some pictures. I don't have the money right now to buy a lense, as i just bought my xsi and my tattoo is sunday, so i am renting from canonlenserentals.com

now the thing is, i'm thinking i will need the larger aperatures since its at night in a stadium and the fast shutter speeds will even it out. so i am considering the 70-200 2.8 is. however i am worried that the zoom won't be enough as i will be in the middle of the seats, maybe i can get down to the fence, not sure though.

so basically i am debating between the 70-200 2.8 with the 2x converter or the 100-400 but its only 4-5.6.

i am almost set on the 2.8 but anyone have any imput?

If your brother is on the band, would you not be able to talk your way into a spot at the ground level, center field sideline?

I would think that a cropped sensor and from where you think you will be sitting, that you should be ok... unless you move and are shooting the far side of the field.

You'll drop stops with the TC. I lose 1-2/3 stops on my 70-200mm with a 1.7TC.

Also carry a monopod.

yea i will have a monopod, so which lense would suit me best? form my understanding, the 2.8 will have around the same fstops as the 4-5.6 with the 2x converter on it right?

I have a 70-300 lens (there's no e) that works great, as long as I'm not too close to the subject. It will bring your subject right up to you for some excellent shots... AND... It was only $79 brand new from Sigma, so if you don't have much money, this is a great lens, and it has gotten great reviews.

Here's a pic I took with it at 300mm:

Zoomed out:

08_17_2008_0627.jpg

Zoomed in:

08_17_2008_0625.jpg

I think that should get you some good shots, both near and far.

Last edited:
600mm f/2.8L IS.

Bling bling.

Since it is not currently made a 600mm f2.8L might not be practical. The cost of custom lenses is astronomical as well as taking months to design and custom build.

There is however a 400mm f2.8L and a 600mm f4L that are available. My choice would be the 400 f2.8L. I use it for night football and soccer. :)

ehh i decided not to get one, not worth the 100 bucks. but i may ask for a decent telephoto for christmas

Most reactions

Back