Renting Props

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Buying props for shots, can get expensive, especially for a hobbyist like myself that might only use it one time. I approached an antique store recently about renting items. At first they seemed interested but then it just kind of died away. Anyone else doing this, or have suggestions on approaching the store?

A large collection of friends and contacts. If possible let them be part of the project in some way.

A couple of years ago for fun I decided to recreate the Art Frahm's ladies in distress series. Not only did the shots need the female models but they all needed others to be the "shocked but amused bystanders". I needed several older 40's-50's vehicles and the owners became the shocked observers. Most even had age appropriate clothing to wear since they had outfits to wear when touring in their vehicles.

The night manager at one of our 80 year old but very upscale condominiums was more than happy to be the elevator operator for the elevator shot. The condominium actually still has the old human operated elevator that they operate for the tenants. Of course we did the shot at midnight as the condominium residents are mostly elderly, so there was no traffic needing the elevator at that late hour.

Another thing you can do is take a few shots of the owners for them if they like. A little quid pro quo. It just takes a little creative thinking, and a lot of observation. I am routinely seeing something that would be useful for some project or another and just take a couple of minutes to contact the owner, introduce myself and chat for a minute. I usually walk away with a contact # and a name for late use if I get around to the project. If not, no big deal, it's all for fun anyway these days.

I think the problem I ran into the other day, is that it's one of those "mall type" antique stores, where the owner doesn't really own the inventory, but leases out sales cubicles to others. The store owner maintains the store, and collects the money on sales. The owner was trying to push me toward coming to her house and using "her" items and location (Barn,woods, etc) for a fee. Apparently some other local photographers are doing that now. I think I might have more success in a store where they actually own the inventory.

Speak to your local/community theatre and/or local drama groups at the high school or community college/university/et al You can barter your services for their props. They may be interested in head shots or production work.
A ton of the contacts I made was just this way while I was helping with two of our kids plays in high school. Two of them like Drama and I built the sets.

Speak to your local/community theatre and/or local drama groups at the high school or community college/university/et al You can barter your services for their props. They may be interested in head shots or production work.

Thanks I hadn't thought of that. I used to know some of the ones involved in the local theater crowd, but those have since moved on (translation got old). Still I might be able to reestablish some contacts.

Be aware that out here, the local theatre and drama groups belong to a consortium and sorta pool all their props. Don't know how it would work out if you run into that.

PS- At our local theatre, Davis Gaines is headlining in Man of La Mancha. Pretty big name for our little town.

In addition to our local college drama department, we have the Theatre of Gadsden We used to go to every show, and then sort of got away from it. I've really wanted to get back, because I'd compare them to a lot of "off broadway" shows I've attended in the past.

Watch/place want ads on CR and "curb alert". Ask for free donations. Be specific as to what you are looking for. Show some photos of examples of what you have or want. Most people with old stuff will be happy to be rid of it.

I will add, that along with props there are other things/services you can get. In my real life job, before I retired, I was the narcotics expert/instructor. As such I was called on to give many presentations not only to LEO's Attorneys etc. but the public as well. One of those public contacts that was twice a year was for a local Beauty Academy. Because this particular academy provided extensive training that took two years to complete the students would sometimes get government loans for tuition, and as such they were required to provide certain training to the students.

Long story short, the Academy students can not while enrolled in the school practice for profit, but are allowed to do hair and makeup for free. I now have a never ending supply of hair stylist and make up artist for free. The students that want to work with me on a shoot get experience and in return I shoot a lot of their in house shows. They have a wonderfully equipped studio just for this. I even use the schools 5 D MkIII. They blow the photos up and hang them in the main salon.

If it is a really special project the instructor that brought me in loves to volunteer her time to do hair and makeup for my shoots as well.

There are a lot of contacts out there you can make if you keep your eyes open to them and are willing to volunteer your time.

I was the narcotics expert/instructor

Hmm, wonder if I could be considered a TN Bourbon Expert??? Oh wait that's not what you meant is it LOL

There are a lot of contacts out there you can make if you keep your eyes open to them and are willing to volunteer your time

Yup I need to get out and meet some people.

LOL. Considering I have a fully equipped shop which has produced a lot of heirloom quality furniture over the years, I think I could probably build a few props, for less than I could buy and have shipped. The OP was about an inexpensive alternative for item only used once.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

Back