replace Canon 17-85mm IS question

mapgirl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm thinking of replacing my Canon EF-S 17-85mm IS with the 18-200mm IS as my walk-around lens. Has anyone tried both? I don't want to lose the quality I've had with the old lens, but would love having the flexibility of the new one.

Take a look at the lens reviews at photozone.de. I have both sigma 17-70mm and 18-200mm and there is a difference in photo quality between the two, -out of focus blur- brokah was the most noticeable difference to me. If I had to choose one, I wouldn't go with the 18-200 unless you absolutely needed the zoom range.

Be very wary about lenses that have a greater than 3:1 zoom range. The 18-200 is over 10:1. I haven't read about it and I don't know anything about it, but I suspect it's a very poor quality lens. Always read lens reviews before buying.

Thank you both. I think I'm just in a "want something shiny and new" mood. And a really good 18-200mm would make my life easier. But I guess I'll stick with my 17-85mm and my 70-300mm, until Canon makes a fabulous, sharp, inexpensive alternative (and pigs fly.)

Even though you seem to have made your decision, let me echo the 18-200 warnings. I received one as a gift a few years ago (even though I asked for a prime). Like the kid wearing the bunny pajamas in A Christmas Story, I couldn't return or exchange it. It is good at . . . gathering dust.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back