Replacement for Kit 18-55 IS II

V8BJC

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi

I had been thinking about upgrading my 18-55 IS II kit lens..... this is now a must since the kit lens is now broken. The questions is .... what shall I get?

The lens would be a general purpose walkabout lens and also used for home / parties etc.

I am also into Car / Motorsport photography and this would be my lens for paddock shooting.

I currently have a 650d with the following lenses:
- EF 50mm f1.8
- EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 IS II
- EF-s 60mm macro
- EF 100-400 f4.5-5.6L

I have been looking at
Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM
Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

or maybe for similiar money get two cheaper lenses say
Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM &
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM

I have read lots of reviews and remain unsure on what to get.

Any advice or experience with any of the above would be much appreciated. Also, any recommendations for non Canon products that you feel would be worth consideration.

My budget here is Max. £600.

Thanks in advance
Brian

Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM
Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

Both these lenses are outstanding, I own the 15-85 and it is my favorite walk around lens. You cannot go wrong with it. I don't own the 17-55, but I have heard great things about it. If I had not purchased my 6D to go with my 7D I would likely own one. If low-light might be a concern then the 17-55 is a for sure choice.

Hi there.

I'm a fan of wide angle and it seems like you haven't own any wide lens yet. Give it a try. The 15-85 is great as a walk around lens and really good replacement for the kit. It is wide and long as well. You can add Sigma 8-16mm if you want to go wider. Wide lens are handy when you are at home/parties as mentioned as it is capable to shoot the whole small room or tight view with a short focal length.

Most reactions

Back