Replacement zoom

Boz Mon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am looking to replace my 55-200 VR zoom, but I dont know where to start. I am shooting with a D300s, and I realized the poor quality of the lens yesterday when I was shooting with it. I dont want to be spending thousands of dollars on a zoom because I dont use it that often, but I would be open to ideas. I already have the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 and I love that thing, so maybe there is a tamron zoom that I should look into?

I suggest looking on Amazon for a Sigma zoom lens. They are a fraction of the price of Nikon lenses, and the quality is very good.

If you like the range to 200 mm you might want to look for an older Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8D. The push-pull version will auto focus on you camera and will keep you from debtor's jail.

Sigma (and other 3rd party lens makers) has lenses that are a fraction of the price for an equivalent Nikon lens because those Sigma (and other 3rd party lens makers) use:
• lower quality materials
• wider acceptable materials tolerances
• wider acceptabe manfacturing tolerances
• fewer Quality Assurance checks

Consequently, some number of lenses Sigma (and other 3rd party lens makers) makes have tolerances stacked such that an individual lens can perform much worse than a lens that has tolerances stacked such that an individual lens can perform much better.

In short the quality, lens to lens, is more variable. That also affects resale value.

I am looking to replace my 55-200 VR zoom, but I dont know where to start. I am shooting with a D300s, and I realized the poor quality of the lens yesterday when I was shooting with it. I dont want to be spending thousands of dollars on a zoom because I dont use it that often, but I would be open to ideas. I already have the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 and I love that thing, so maybe there is a tamron zoom that I should look into?

Nikon 70-300 VR-G, the newish f/4.5~5.6 zoom, with 62mm filter threads, modest weight, decent optics, used $350-$450 at various places.

Nikon 70-300 VR-G, the newish f/4.5~5.6 zoom, with 62mm filter threads, modest weight, decent optics, used $350-$450 at various places.

Would the image quality be better than my current 50-200?

You could go with the old Tamron 70-200 f2.8. Can be had for about $650 used.

How does this lens compare with the nikon posted above? I would really enjoy the constant f2.8 if possible.

Nikon doesn't make bad lenses. What exactly is the "poor" quality of the 55-200 lens and how do you know it's due specifically to the lens? Can you post an example?

It just doesn't seem as sharp as my other lenses. Maybe I'm just crazy or something. It's not terrible but I feel like it could be better

Well being that the 55-200vr is my main lens. And has sold me images from my Getty Stock images.
I would think you either have a bad copy or bad match between body & lens.

Saturday Night High Heel Left Behind by Orbmiser, on Flickr

The 70-300vr is better but larger,heavier and cost more than my light compact and cheapy 55-200vr that is a stellar performer for it's price point.

If doing a lot of sports or wildlife need hands down would opt for the 70-300vr as also a stellar performer and better build than my cheapy 55-200vr. Another option to consider is the 55-300vr plastic but metal mount. About 30% smaller and lighter than the 70-300vr.

But personally found the 70-300vr to best be had in the price range when needing the extra reach.

Ladies Carefree & Riding Free by Orbmiser, on Flickr

Last edited:

How does this lens compare with the nikon posted above? I would really enjoy the constant f2.8 if possible.

Remember lenses are like anything else "you get what you pay for"
icon10.gif

Most reactions

Back