Request for Opinions

UNH

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello All,

Classmate of mine has a business idea targeted at travelers and photography enthusiasts. His plan is to create an online meeting place where those going on vacation and/or business travel could link up with an amateur (or professional) photographer at the destination of choice. The idea is that often times someone on travel is interested in having nice pictures taken where they are headed, but: are traveling alone or as a couple only, may not have nice equipment and/or want to travel with it, often interested in hiring someone for an hour or less, don't need/want to pay for full professional photo shoot. The idea would be to start a service to link these people with those willing to meet up and take nice photos for a short period of time for a fee.

Basically, I thought this would be a great spot to try and get some opinions from an important demographic to his idea. Any and all input, negative or positive, would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, and have a great day!

Well, this idea has at least some merit, I think. As with almost ALL business ideas--management, vision, execution, value, advertising, promotion, and quality play a part in how well a business reaches its set goals. With the right management and staffing, this idea might work. Or, it might flop. I DO THINK however, that , especially at certain destinations, there might easily be a market for competent photographers who could do short duration shoots-for-hire for vacationing/traveling people.

There was a guy profiled on NPR a few months back that guides people through photo-tours of Yosemite National Park. He's been a pro photographer (I believe) himself, and he knows the park - so he knows when and where the lighting will be at its best.

I offer this just to suggest that there are probably 'guides' you could contact to help establish your 'product'.

Derrel,

Thank you very much. Completely understood on the business side of the house, and appreciate the input on the thought of a potential market for this. Thanks again.

Derrel,

Thank you very much. Completely understood on the business side of the house, and appreciate the input on the thought of a potential market for this. Thanks again.

rlemert,

Thank you, that's a very good suggestion and a possible partner source. Thanks!

If they can pull a good plan together, they might want to and be able to partner with some other travel sites like AirBNB.com that have a similar ethos. AirBNB connects people who want to rent out their homes to vacationers to vacationers that want to rent places to stay. Some subset of those vacationers would probably be interested in meeting up with a photographer for whatever reasons -- anything from "we're on our honeymoon and we want to do a honeymoon shoot" to "I want a good photo of me standing in front of the Eiffel tower".

Sounds like a good idea. I'm wondering if there is any money in it. For possible sources of insight, communicate with other tour operators, such as bicycle tours, hiking tours, fishing guides, etc.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back