Requesting a Beginners Gallery or Sub-Gallery

Dioboleque

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've made a suggestion to add a Beginners Gallery or Sub-Gallery where those viewing it will know what quality to expect when viewing as well as the types of critiques which generally will be needed, and the posters can post free of the fear of being called out for posting something less than art.

If this sounds like something you'd want, follow the link below and let ur opinion be heard. If not, I suppose you could let that be heard as well. :sillysmi:

Beginners Gallery

if we split and split and split further making more and more subdivisions, then less and less people will comment on images.

i think already now there are too many subcategories... really hard to keep track of what is going on and I am sure I miss lots of interesting images and comments at the moment.

yet one more would not make this better.

i think no one should be afraid to post any image. though maybe one should not post in some gallery called for pros only or so. ;)

As an absolute beginner I would rather have my photos critiqued like any other. I want to know everything that is wrong this them. But... i take blunt criticism well and don't easily take offense, some people are different. I guess it would be nice to have that as an option.

Maybe the more experienced would prefer a beginner gallery as that would let them evaluate more serious work in the regular galleries. But... I'm afraid the gallery would attract only beginners and leave beginners critiquing beginners. I would rather someone more experienced critiquing mine.

if we split and split and split further making more and more subdivisions, then less and less people will comment on images.

i think already now there are too many subcategories... really hard to keep track of what is going on and I am sure I miss lots of interesting images and comments at the moment.

Good point. I was thinking a sub gallery was a good idea. Not so much now.

~90% who would use a Beginners Gallery already completely ignores the fact that we HAVE gallery sections, and just posts their pictures in here, so good luck getting people to use it.

I do see lots of posts moved to the Gallery from The Beginners Place, maybe if the beginners gallery was a sub-forum of The Beginners Place... as I can't really tell who of those who have responded are beginners, I will say that as a beginner myself I have seen lots of negativity toward beginners photos in the regular galleries, and despite the fact there is a seperate gallery for Pros, this does not seem to deter people from commenting that some members photos have no place in even the General Gallery. I absolutely did not post in the Pro Gallery and I found that, while I was seeking critique on technical aspects as I am just learning, people didn't want to critique my pics because of, as I was told, uninteresting subject matter. If people around here are going to be that discriminating about subject matter, there should definitely be a Beginners Gallery where viewers can focus on the technical aspects of the photo rather than the subject matter, because I know when learning to use my camera I wasn't waiting around for the most arty or interesting subject matter to practice on. Refusing to critique technical aspects of a beginners photo because they find the subject matter boring is just asinine. So, my own experience combined with comments I've seen made by others led me to this suggestion. I don't really think there are too many Galleries, but I'm all for organization and easily finding exactly what I'm looking for, if others don't see a need for it, so be it... but the reality is that some people are afraid to post, and some people do get crushed for posting what others consider not up to TPF standards, and if experienced members are going to abuse the beginners in this way, I feel it's best to give the beginners photos a home of their own. And as for the beginners leading the beginners, that wouldn't have to be the case, and even if it were, I'd say it's better than having the beginner being totally ignored by the more experienced. The way I see it the case would be that the beginners would received comments from experience people who ARE THERE PURPOSELY to help. :sillysmi:

If anyone has anymore comments to make on the subject I ask that they follow the link to the suggestion forum and leave any feedback there. Thanks!

Beginners Gallery

I mentioned this idea in another thread a couple of days ago...

I think it's a great idea... give the noobs their own picture gallery subforum attached to this one... they can hone their rudimentary skills here and eventually post intermediate work and above in the actual galleries.

and for the actual galleries I think it would help to limit picture uploads to one or two per thread. This would allow better focus for constructive crit instead of "I like pic's #3, 8, and 17 best"

I'm no mod but as far as I can tell there is only one gallery that is marked "professional".

I think this is an excellent idea if the forum is used for people who really want their work to be heavily criticised.

I always believe that if you can't say something nice about someones work, don't say anything (unless it's really crying out for a comment), which means I'm not generally very helpful.

If there was a forum where beginners (or experienced photographers trying a new field) could put their work specificaly to be ruthlessly criticised one could feel free to be helpful rather than hold back in case you hurt the feelings of someone who has put up something of which they are really proud.

I agree generally about too much splitting up.

If you look at the index of beginner's and "not so beginner's" questions it's sometimes hard to tell which forum you are in without looking at the title!

I like this idea in principle, but I agree with those who say we're already a little forum-heavy. I would suggest that if a beginner wants specific critique that he or she should look at the mentoring thread and consult with one of the volunteer mentors; this will give them much more direct, one-on-one guidance, and, I think, allow them to progress more quickly.

Thanks for the feedback. I really only posted this here to bring attention to the thread I created in the Feedback & Suggestions area.
If anyone has any further comments to make on this I ask that u please follow this link and leave ur comments there. Thanks! :sillysmi:

Looks like "The Beginners Place & Photo Gallery" had changed to "The Beginners Place & Photo Gallery"

hahaha ... oops

too fast with copy and paste!!

Most reactions

Back