Requesting advice on Canon AE-1 shutter problem

snark

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Recently, negatives taken with my AE-1 are blurred on the left side. I am guessing the shutter curtain is hanging up (it's winter, might temperature affect the shutter operation?). Should I grab another camera and call it a day, or is there an inexpensive fix for this? Before I go to the trouble of replacing the battery and shooting a test roll, might a weak battery be the trouble?

Found this on the web. not sure if it will help.......

Shutter Will Not Function Properly

Replace the Battery
One of the main reasons that this happens is that the battery in the camera is almost dead. The function that cycles the film take a significantly less amount of power, then it does to make the shutter function. Simple replace the battery.

Clean the Electromagnet
The shutter in the Canon Ae-1 functions with an electromagnet. As the camera gets older the camera can accumulate metal particles on the electromagnet. These particles will cause the electromagnet to not have enough power to function the shutter. To fix this you will need to remove the bottom and spray pressurized air into the small plastic container that houses the electromagnet.

Recently, negatives taken with my AE-1 are blurred on the left side. I am guessing the shutter curtain is hanging up (it's winter, might temperature affect the shutter operation?). Should I grab another camera and call it a day, or is there an inexpensive fix for this? Before I go to the trouble of replacing the battery and shooting a test roll, might a weak battery be the trouble?

Replace the Battery
One of the main reasons that this happens is that the battery in the camera is almost dead. The function that cycles the film take a significantly less amount of power, then it does to make the shutter function. Simple replace the battery.

Clean the Electromagnet
The shutter in the Canon Ae-1 functions with an electromagnet. As the camera gets older the camera can accumulate metal particles on the electromagnet. These particles will cause the electromagnet to not have enough power to function the shutter. To fix this you will need to remove the bottom and spray pressurized air into the small plastic container that houses the electromagnet.

Replace the Battery

Clean the Electromagnet

Thanks a million. I'll pop in a new battery and if that don't fix it I have a can of compressed air. Maybe we can salvage this old Canon.

Hmm, a lagging shutter curtain would not cause one side to be "blurred" ... I would expect underexposure would occur ... unless your description is not completely accurate.

Hmm, a lagging shutter curtain would not cause one side to be "blurred" ... I would expect underexposure would occur ... unless your description is not completely accurate.

It sounds like perhaps the lens. Could you perhaps post a photo?

I bought a Mamiya 645 a few years back and it had this same problem, diagnosed by the repair people as a lagging shutter curtain. One side of the frame was overexposed and blurring was very noticable. In that case the issue was a defective chip that should have been replaced under warranty back when the camera first went on the market, and now the part is not available. So it is toast.

I didn't print the affected roll so I cannot post a photo. I have another AE1 body that I have not used for years. This afternoon I pulled it out of storage to replace the defective one until this this problem is ironed out. As soon as I fired the shutter I noticed the problem camera has a much more noticeable shutter squeak. So I am even more convinced the problem is in the shutter.

Thanks for all your help, guys.

Hmm my first comment was a lagging first curtain ... now that you commented further, perhaps the second curtain was caught on something before completing the closure ... so it left that part of the film over exposed and due to the longer exposure time it allowed camera shake to blur the image.

You obviously are much better versed on these things than am I (didn't even know there was a second curtain) but it appears our diagnosis is essentially the same. The price of a functioning AE1 being what it is, I think I will just get another. Thanks again for your help.

Most reactions

Back