Resizing Photos

B192734

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Does anyone have advice on good software of techniques for resizing photos to post here? I have tried, and no matter what I do I continually get pics that are to big. They don't fit inside of the screen. Here's an example:

1-1.jpg

Anyone have any advice? I've tried but am kind of lost at the moment...Thanks for any advice.

Nevermind. I figured it out. Finally. Now I just have to figure out how to post from Picasa. Photobucket works, but I normally use Picasa. Anyone have any insight on that?

"Too big" is directly related to the individual's screen resolution when viewing. That said, 1024x768 screen resolution is still common and it really bothers me when images do not fit on 1024x768. In forum use, I would post photos no more than 900 pixel on the horizontal side to fit on the screen of 1024x768 resolution (I think 900 is the size that fits).

There are two things you need to do before uploading for web viewing.
Resize: (change the size of the image (in pixels) to about 800 (longest side))
Compress: After resizing, you need to save the image before uploading. Save as a JPEG and then set a compression/quality level that will reduce the file size.

So in your opinions...Is the picture posted in the first one to big, or would people find that acceptable?

It's too large.

A general rule of thumb for posting: (whatever image management software you're using) choose "Save for Web" which is an automated way to convert a file from it's original resolution to 72 dpi. Then, if you have the option to adjust image size, choose 600 for the longest dimension) and apply that change. Then you can check to see how large the new file is. For optimal viewing quality AND optimal uploading time it should be no more than 100K for most sites, which you can adjust by changing the "quality" setting.

At least this is how I do it in Photoshop. I think most other PP programs have something similar.

Thanks a lot. I am looking at some options for phtot editing software right now, so I'll make sure that's something that is an option. Thanks again.

Most reactions

Back