resizing to post?

Keith Baran

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First off, forgive me if this question is so lame that I need to be shot.
I'd like to post some photos for critiquing. (first time) but I just spent Friday and Saturday with PS cs2, Nero, and Picasa trying to turn 2-4 megabyte files into 150kb files suitable for posting.
I've tried "resize wizard, croping, export w/ resizing but if I get the file to a disk size of 150 kb the otherwise clear picture becomes very pixelated and blurred.
I'm shooting RAW files and after a bit of touch up in PS I save them as jpeg highest quality, then these are the files I am trying to resize. What the heck am I doing wrong?
Thanx in advance for any assistance.

I don't usually worry about a kb size when I'm just posting something in one of the galleries - I just resize to 800pixel width or height depending on pic orientation with a 100% jpeg quality so it will fit to most people's screens. For the monthly photo challenge though yes you need that 150kb file size limit. If you want to get them down to 150kb then the way I do it is to resize the jpeg 1st and then drop the jpeg quality gradually (checking file size as i go)

I just spent Friday and Saturday with PS cs2, Nero, and Picasa trying to turn 2-4 megabyte files into 150kb files suitable for posting.
I've tried "resize wizard, croping, export w/ resizing but if I get the file to a disk size of 150 kb the otherwise clear picture becomes very pixelated and blurred.
I'm shooting RAW files and after a bit of touch up in PS I save them as jpeg highest quality, then these are the files I am trying to resize. What the heck am I doing wrong?

Nothing, Keith. You're not doing anything wrong. 150KB is simply a very small file containing very little image data. Which is what you see. And about half of that 150KB is probably the icon too...

what size are you working with?
Also use the "save for web" command and in there you can specify the maximum size of a file and also compare the effects it will have on the photo. Some forums/galleries only want 600pixels and under 100kb photos, but here is fine with sizes - just under 800 pixels

Another option that is easier, is just to upload to flickr. They resize it to 3 or more sizes... and gives you a place to host the pics so that you can display them here.

If you're using Photoshop just set the image quality lower when you save the file. I usually do 800 pixels wide on a landscape and save it as a JPEG quality level 7 or so. That usually puts it around 150kb.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back