Respecting People's Choices

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is always something that discouraged me from online forums. The fanboy loyalty is so annoying. I have reasons for liking a Canon and you have reasons for liking another brand. Just be glad we both have a brand that we can use. And I personally don't find any camera crappy... unless it's a phone camera... Oh man my family posts stuff on facebook with it and I can't stand it. But I still act supportive and say good job.

So treat other members like you treat your facebook friends. You wouldn't call your aunt a name would you?
Because chances are that's somebody's real aunt.

Last edited:
That is always something that discouraged me from online forums. The fanboy loyalty is so annoying. I have reasons for liking a Canon and you have reasons for liking another brand. Just be glad we both have a brand that we can use. And I personally don't find any camera crappy... unless it's a phone camera... Oh man my family posts stuff on facebook with it and I can't stand it. But I still act supportive and say good job.

So treat other members like you treat your facebook friends. You wouldn't call your aunt a name would you?

Yes I would! But you don't know my family! ;)

Yes I would! But you don't know my family! ;)

lol

Please keep in mind when offering suggestions about gear to respect the choices that have already been made by the OP. We've had quite a few instances where people will state they want to stick with brand "A" or "B" only to have people start suggesting the opposite brand(s). Please respect people's choices regarding the brand they have chosen. If they directly ask for alternatives feel free to suggest them.

Secondly, please do not comment on how "crappy" someone's camera is, especially for those who are just starting out. If you are caught doing this you will be banned. Nothing is more discouraging than having spent a considerable amount of money only to have a bunch of people say you bought a piece of junk. We should be encouraging people to shoot what they have and enjoy it.
i still shoot with a point and shoot sometimes. Deal with it. And i love snap shots. Anyone who doesn't i think has "issues". And i see better stuff on facebook from people shooting with smart phones and handicams than here most of the time . And enough with the photoshop chit not all of us signed up for the monthly plan, and no, we shouldn't all go get light room then. And what is up with the memory card prejudice? Sand disc is not a bad card. You should use lee, no, use tiffen, no use... and yeah, you need more megapixels. Never mind you never blew a photo up over a 8x10 and only print five of them a year you still should get more megapixels... blah blah blah blah blah. Just shoot the damn photo already........

i still shoot with a point and shoot sometimes. Deal with it. And i love snap shots. Anyone who doesn't i think has "issues". And i see better stuff on facebook from people shooting with smart phones and handicams than here most of the time . And enough with the photoshop chit not all of us signed up for the monthly plan, and no, we shouldn't all go get light room then. And what is up with the memory card prejudice? Sand disc is not a bad card. You should use lee, no, use tiffen, no use... and yeah, you need more megapixels. Never mind you never blew a photo up over a 8x10 and only print five of them a year you still should get more megapixels... blah blah blah blah blah. Just shoot the damn photo already........

Hey, Brian. A lot of us are not like this. You're letting the rabid minority get to you - at least I hope it's a minority, I didn't actually look back and count...

Hey, Brian. A lot of us are not like this. You're letting the rabid minority get to you - at least I hope it's a minority, I didn't actually look back and count...
No. Just a few. Guess i had to get that off my chest. LOL.

And what is up with the memory card prejudice? Sand disc is not a bad card.........

Those cards would be a great choice if you want a lot of "grain" in your images. Personally, I prefer Sandisk. :biglaugh:

And what is up with the memory card prejudice? Sand disc is not a bad card.........

Those cards would be a great choice if you want a lot of "grain" in your images. Personally, I prefer Sandisk. :biglaugh:
i like my spelling it makes me feel like i am shooting digital film

IMG_3006.jpg
IMG_2904.jpg
2015-04-22 10.35.59-1.jpg
2015-04-22 10.35.59-1.jpg
And I personally don't find any camera crappy... unless it's a phone camera...
hey now! I quite like my phone camera.
Here's a few photos I took with it on a recent vacation.

Last edited:
View attachment 101326 View attachment 101327 View attachment 101312 View attachment 101312

then I'd like to get you behind the wheel of a brand new DSLR if you can take these with a... dare I say, phone camera... You must be amazing with some real, fine, Japanese engineering. :p

View attachment 101326 View attachment 101327 View attachment 101312 View attachment 101312

then I'd like to get you behind the wheel of a brand new DSLR if you can take these with a... dare I say, phone camera... You must be amazing with some real, fine, Japanese engineering. :p
I also have a Nikon D810.
Unless I'm being paid or I'm doing portfolio stuff or large prints - iPhone all the way

Did Runnah really start this thread? Really?

The notion out there with a lot of people is that "I have a (you name it) brand camera and it is far and away the best camera in the world because ---- well, because I own one and I am the master of the universe and a lot smarter than you."
This notion gets real old real fast. Cameras are tools. Do you ask a car mechanic which brand of monkey wrench he would use on your car before you hire him?
And then there is the "cool" factor. "Oh, your camera is so glamorous." Reply: "oh, I haven't put film in it for 27 years." Reply back, "oh, don't bother, just pose with it draped down in front of your tuxedo."
If they want a Canon Rebel, tell them to go for it unless you have a Canon model at the same price range you think might be more suitable. Don't try to get them into a Leica M. That person might just beat your butt with his/her Rebel and an eye and a brain.

Brand, model of camera? I agree with Vic " I have reasons for liking a Canon and you have reasons for liking another brand. Just be glad we both have a brand that we can use." I don't care what light recorder, ie camera, you use, I am more interested in your IMAGES. And for anyone telling a newby that their camera is crap, even an entry level camera today is far and away better than cameras in the 1900's that produced all those incredible iconic images. A pro agonizes over the quality of their images, an amateur or collector over the quality of their gear. How many times have you heard carpenters waxing on endlessly about their saws? No, they just use them since they are only tools. And rough carpenters and creative furniture makers all use with wood working tools and wood but produce markedly different results. One is basic and utilitarian, the other is art. Ansel had it right, the most important part of the camera is the 12 inches behind it.

An Interior Designer for over 30 years , my set squares , scales and equipment tend tone worn and tired .
This is how it should be , though I may be put down as I could afford new ones .
I just did not need it .
I have a 10 year old Leica M8 and a much derided Sony A290 , so where does that leave me ?
The M8 was a mad inheritance purchase as I craved an analogue style digital , quickly adapted to Contax Mount for a superb new £40 Helios and special gifted Contax mount J3 lens [ no registration problems ] plus a CV 35 f2.5 , so no Leica badge affinity .
The Sony plus the plastic 35mm ,was the cheapest entry into using my old Minolta AF lenses old favourite 35-80f4 , [ cropped to a fave 24-120 for architecture , plus the bonus of those lovely CCD colours .
I guess I could be criticised from both ends of the spectrum , so I can hardly question any ones choice .
Ironically , both the M8 and the Sony are largely devoid of current tech , which is just how I like it .

I also like chasing inexpensive digitals which , like the M8 are far beyond my abilities , just for the fun of it -
new £230 Pentax K-S1 plus 35mm 'cos I love the clear finder ,
new Fuji X-Pro1 27mm [ @320 ] as my advanced compact and , the latest ,
new Fuji X-T1 18-55 @ £427 which took a years of 'stalking' in a Dept store and as it dropped from £1300 / £850 until it became a clearance item within my reach - great fun and persistence - I wanted that 18-55 and an SLR style body !
The X-Pro was fantastic street camera during a one off visit to Malaysia , but I could easily have used the M8 .
I confess that the two Fujis seem to be taking over somewhat , but the Sony is excellently worthless , so won't be going anywhere .
The M8 ? Semi retired, so hopefully it will keep going when others have died .
Maybe I will stop seeking out those neglected discontinued cameras - but I doubt it .
Another aspect is respect for a camera - easy perhaps , for an M8 or -once [£1450] Fuji , but less obvious for that Sony .
However , I would choose that camera within it's ISO limitations due to those lovely colours and try to squeeze the most of it at all times .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back